Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

o2 sensor and Check EGR idiot light

Hello

I have a 1987 Dodge Ram 50 California emissions model. It has the check EGR light on. I have replaced the EGR valve. I have switched the switch in the dash to the right and back to the left. When it is in the right position the light turns off. Soon as I switch it back to the left, the Check EGR idiot light comes back on.

I have examined the O2 sensor and it is missing. It appears that one of the previous owners removed the O2 sensor and replaced it with a spark plug. I do not see the wire for the o2 sensor even if I installed an O2 sensor which is missing. Any idea what kind of connector/wire I should use to connect the O2 sensor? Any idea where it connects? A picture would be great.

John

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Well that's a first.. A spark plug. If you pick up a new O2 sensor then you will have an idea what to look for. It's got to be over there some where near the right fender. It should look somthing like this.

o2.jpg
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Well that's a first.. A spark plug. If you pick up a new O2 sensor then you will have an idea what to look for. It's got to be over there some where near the right fender. It should look somthing like this.

o2.jpg
    Hello

Thanks for the picture of an O2 sensor. Unfortunately that is not my problem. I can see the location where the O2 Sensor screws into manifold. My problem is I do not know where the electrical connection goes from the O2 sensor.

In other words, the O2 sensor screws into the manifold, but where does the other end, specifically the electrical end connect? Since the previous owner removed the o2 sensor I do not know where it goes.

Thanks for the reply

John

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You need to look at the wiring harness on the fender. There should be a plug that looks like the one in the picture. Within a foot or so of the hole the spark plug is in. Also if you look through the manuals we should have a wiring schematic with color codes. If he just cut the plug off then you need to look for 2 wires. I guess there taped if your lucky. Ya never know what someone did. It's just a bug puzzle, with all blue peaces.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    You need to look at the wiring harness on the fender. There should be a plug that looks like the one in the picture. Within a foot or so of the hole the spark plug is in. Also if you look through the manuals we should have a wiring schematic with color codes. If he just cut the plug off then you need to look for 2 wires. I guess there taped if your lucky. Ya never know what someone did. It's just a bug puzzle, with all blue peaces.
    Hello Camoit,

Many thanks for the help. By the way, I tried to find your picture album of your camo truck which shows in your profile avatar. I would like to see them in large format instead of as a thumbnail. Is that available?

John

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    The Pix is for locating the Timing Plug (red Circle)but it shows the o2 sensor also.