Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    well....
    alright so i go to torque down the rocker assembly, with my father's "powerbuilt" torque wrench, i set it to what i assume is 14lbs, i'm tightening them down in the right order it's taking more force then 14lbs i'm thinking hmmm, maybe my arms are just that worn out, SNAP, like a moron i think "this is a weird sounding torque wrench" go to torque the next one SNAP.. "shit that's the bolts snapping!!!!!" go to test the torque wrench on some lugnuts, cranked the adjuster all the way down i couldn't get it to give....

morals of the story:
    don't trust other peoples tools
    buy quality tools
    think about what you're doing and listen to yourself

so now i'm going to o'reilly on the motorbike....

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    new bolts are on the way, ez out and a drill got the old ones out. they were soft, i'm not sure if it's because they were stretched or old but they made the Phillips heads honda uses look strong.... i'm working on getting the filings out using a magnet and rags the nooks and cranny are hard to get, so i am going to run a oil filter and drain plug magnet and change it every 2 (running) hours until i feel it's 100% just because i know there has to be some hiding under the cam and in the valve springs

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Put 7's in next time.

Those almost looked like bullets when I took a quick look at them, lol

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    like some hollow base wad cutters. those were the original 7s but i tried to reuse them and they were already stretched a little. i am going to borrow a good torque wrench this time too.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    got it all together and it won't start...
    it doesn't have spark, i can't find any loose connections and it had good spark last time i ran it 3 months ago. i can't find the main fuse box on this thing either...
    any ideas?

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    alright so i got it all running not long after my last post but it was still knocking just as bad i then came to the realization...
    oil level light
    no shavings in oil
    5 collapsed lifters
    i think i have a oil problem... probably the oil pump or a clog before the oil pump

after that realization i got a little
    i am going to do an oil pressure test soon to try and confirm my hypothesis

if that is the problem i may just buy a 1993 MM for the family then steal the 6bolt 8v out of the 91 MM for the van

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    It's finally time. I have a new timing belt, oil pump and balance shaft delete kit. and money to get a rebuild kit, water pump and timing belt tensioner.
    I'm undecided whether I am putting new pistons in, re-ringing the current pistons or leaving them as-is. 130-140 compression is at the lower end of where I want it but one of these years I will do a proper build, this is just low end rebuild to get it on the road. I will be balancing the piston-rod assemblies.

also I've put reflectix up in the rear windows, and started working my way around the exterior with acetone to get what I assume is tree sap off. once i finish that I will start taking care of the rust.

Array
    Status
    N*Y
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    nic wagon

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thank you

Today I did some cleaning rearranged everything and moved in the desk I got for free.

I was going to cut it shorter but thought I should try it before cutting it.

I'm waiting on a keyboard from tigerdirect before I put the desktop back in, I need to email them and see what's up, it's been 3 weeks.....

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Minimoto returns, way to keep the thread alive. Glad your van is working too!! Tell us your not living in that van now??

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    maybe his cat is...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Let's put it this way, I joined a forum dedicated to dwelling in vans and other vehicles

seriously it all started sometime in 2013, I was sitting around BSing with my family, I said somethng along the lines of "one of these days I will be living in a van down by the river," then I started thinking about it that night like "I could live in my van couldn't I?" yada yada yada then last winter I made up my mind. so I've been living in, or rather out of my van for 9 months and I'm liking it.

I blame Chris Farley!!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    hahahaha remember now Chris is no longer with us though. I would of put a hot tub in that baby.

I did live in my truck for 2 weeks and with 2 cats. Went through bad times when younger, but pulled through it well.Oh man it just came to me where I saw your van before. Like the Delica forum or something like that. I read your post there and it just came back to my memory.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yeah, I know a bunch of people who were forced to live in trucks or SUVs, it seems most of them didn't like it at all, one said he didn't mind living in his explorer for a month but was happy to move back in to a real house. I don't need much to be happy or atleast content, hell I am planning to see how long I can go with just a tent and a pack full of food and water in the spring.
    I forgot I was on delica.ca too. the van-wagon section on there is quite inactive but that's to be expected. I think I stopped going on there because I was getting too jealous of all the 4wd diesel l300s.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Bought a HF 1 ton hoist, and got started preparing the motor to be pulled. Also got a roof box which made it a lot roomier inside since 2 dogs have moved in with me.

6-20
    I am definitely behind schedule of where I wanted to be, radiators out, exhaust side is completely clear, fluids drained, Timing covers are off, timing belt is off, heads unbolted but won't come off, I have disconnected a lot of the hoses from the chassis to intake manifold, AC compressor is out of the way.

Under the lower timing cover I found some bits of belt which sparked my curiosity and I finally noticed the balance shaft belt was stripped. and the "front" shaft is hard to turn and clanks if i turn it fast enough with a ratchet, while easy to turn the rear B/S also clanks when turned fast enough. I am glad I bought the B/S delete kit now.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Random afternoon update even though I just did one earlier today.
    Head is off, because of my unpro camera skills you can't see the biggest difference between the 87-88 vans G64B and the 89-90 van and MM/D50 4G64, jet valves, supposedly cause turbulence in the combustion chamber boosting MPG and power? I don't know about that but they are cool looking and I haven't heard of them causing cracked heads like in the G54B.

What's left before I pull the motor the obvious stuff, starter, ground cable and some coolant lines from the trans that are bolted to the block.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Hoist didn't reach far enough, so I had to improvise I have to wait until Monday for an impact wrench to get the flywheel bolts off and flex plate got bent, that will be fun to straighten. So I just started pulling what's left and degreasing.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Flywheel bolts gave me more crap, 5 came off no problem with an air impact, 1 nope, stripped the head a little, Wound up drilling the head off....

First thing that jumped out at me when I popped the oil pan off was a destroyed bearing, looked around and it was for the "rear" balance shaft, the oil shaft.

The front balance shaft was seized.

Oil pump ate chunks but nowhere near as bad as I thought.

Rod journals for the most part are okay, 1 or 2 spots I can feel a problem with my finger nail. the mains are much worse, I can feel the scratches with my finger nail but not the pad of my finger.
    I am hoping I only need a polish

Flywheel bolts for this thing are not standard 6 bolt DSM, I had to order ones for a Toyota 3SGTE m12 with a UHL of 1"

I have noticed what I've been calling the flex plate is actually the starter plate, and flywheel = flex plate. Shows just how much I know about automatics.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    So after a week of dealing with flaky people and shops that don't answer their phones I have accomplished nothing but receiving a big shipment of parts.

OEM Mitsu:
    BS delete spacer
    oil filter
    brake rotors
    front case plug seal

Aftermarket:
    Gates upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat
    ARP flywheel bolts 203-2801
    exhaust gasket
    magnetic drain plug
    fuel filter and crush washers

Also I'm playing with trying to bring the group 51 starting battery and a group 27 marine battery(from a TT) back to life. I am trying to do it without draining the acid but I did pick up a bag of epsom salt at the dollar shore just as a last resort.

4G6x guys, check out the front case plug, not a "castle nut" like is typically found on 4G63 and 4G64s.

I would assume it's original to the van's G64B since all the other parts were OEM inside.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Epson salts to revive a lead acid battery - how does that work?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    First time I'm trying it, supposed to be an old used car salesman trick to get junk batteries to work good enough. The epson salt is supposed to help knock the crap off the plates. My starting battery has been holding 12.7v just fine without any tricks but that marine battery would only hold 10.4 as I received it, I poured off some acid and replaced it with epsom salt-water, ran it on the charger a few times then I just dumped out most of what was in it and filled it with distilled water. it's already looking better. if it rests at 11.5v or higher I will go ahead and buy new acid. If it doesn't I only lost $1 for the mag sulfate and the battery is still worth the same core/scrap.

Finally got someone to pick up the block, crank, piston-rod combos and BS bearings, he will be dropping it by a machine shop when it's convenient for him...

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Okay the marine battery couldn't be saved... well I didn’t want to take the gamble on buying new acid when it's just a chap marine battery. the van's starting battery seems to be okay, won't know until I can put the load of the starter on it.

Dropped the crank off at a machine shop today he said a few days if it polishes out nice and if it needs turned it will be cash and more time, as I expected.

new stuffs:
    New to me 30a solar charge controller

porta-potti, not sure if I am keeping this, as it's big and according to people wh have had the a pain to deal with but I have a tendency of using buckets for storage(not good in an emergency when your poo bucket is full of other stuff.) and I know I won't be storing stuff in this thing.

coleman 1850w generator, probably just sell this, if I am going to carry a generator it will be something like a 1000w yamaha

Inverter I've had for years, dug it out and it has no problem powering my LED TV or laptop, sweet.

Array
    Status
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    New toys, bicycle to replace motorcycle, Specialized single speed 26" hybrid, really light and has disc brakes. I am out of shape though...

Char broil X200 grill2go

Buddy heater, working as a TV stand at the moment. I haven't felt the need for a heater in my van here in Colorado but I figure if I spend winter in the dakotas or MT where temps actually dip below zero without BS like "wind chill" factored in this thing might make it a lot easier.

Anyway nothing is going quite as planned.
    Crank was polished found a guy locally who did it for $30 and turn around time of 2 or 3 days, still in factory specs I order a re-ring kit after asking the seller if the rings are cast or chrome. re-ring kit arrives and they are NPR 300 series rings, meaning the top ring is chrome so I can't install without honing. I am against honing unless the motor bore was out of spec. My deadline is tight so I say screw it and put it back together with the old rings.

Get the motor in the van all assembled, get everything hooked up, easy peasy.

No spark, FML, I had this same problem last time I tore into it, last time it was just a loose connector. So I wiggled and cleaned all the connections relating to the coil and dizzy. A mechanic came and cleaned the cap and rotor recommending I order new ones. So I did along with new plug wires that I had forgot to order. Should be here Monday.

So as we sit. no spark, needle on the tach isn't moving. There's voltage from the coil to the dizzy but nothing coming out of the dizzy. I have not checked the fuses yet as it is a PITA without being able to open the drivers side door but will check them soon.
    To make matters worse mice have been inside my dash and ate paperwork in my glovebox so there's a possibility that this is a symptom of that. I have never been able to find my ECU but there's a chance it's somewhere under the dash where they could have got to it's harness.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Ignition Control Module (ICM)(found inside distributor) usually fries when key is left in "on" position & vehicle is not running...causes symptoms you describe. spark detectable from coil & not from distributor. rockauto.com

Array
    Status
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle

1982 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    ECU is in the passenger side B pillar down in the void.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast