Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Smokey and rough idle starts

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas why my 84 TD with manual glow plugs white smokes for the first couple of minutes or so while warming up unless I juice the glow plugs. It will rough idle also unless I hit the glow plugs. Seems like once it comes up to a certain temp it goes away. Just wondering if anyone with a manual setup has the same problems or know what I should be checking? More air to the intake? maybe air in the fuel lines... thanks for any help.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You should have a glow plug timer and temperature sensor on the engine. White smoke = not enough heat in the cylinders to burn the fuel. If you are running them manually then yes it will smoke, shake, and run rough. The timer and temperature sensor work together and keep the glow plugs at the correct temperature. This will keep white smoke down to a minimum. Then when the temperature is high enough the glow plugs will not come on at all.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    You should have a glow plug timer and temperature sensor on the engine. White smoke = not enough heat in the cylinders to burn the fuel. If you are running them manually then yes it will smoke, shake, and run rough. The timer and temperature sensor work together and keep the glow plugs at the correct temperature. This will keep white smoke down to a minimum. Then when the temperature is high enough the glow plugs will not come on at all.

Ok thanks for the info. Where are you putting the temp sensor and timer? And where can I find these parts? I guess that you are wireing the temp sensor to the timer?

Thanks again

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    look in the manual section. Under 216 manuals. In there is a Haynes manual that covers the montero and the pick up trucks. I think it has a wiring diagram that will show where they are located in the system. The temp sensor should be near the T, stat.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com