Sorry if this is a repeat post but I couldn't find it after posting the first time. Here's the set-up and troubleshooting I've done so far. My 1985, 2.0L, Ram 50 got harder to start over time and finally left me stranded. The last 10 times it started it didn't fire until I released the key and then it would start right up and run fine. Spark test with the coil wire only gets a spark when the wire is about 1/8 inch from a ground and spark is very weak. It won't spark at all if more than 1/8 inch away while cranking but will jump up to 3/8 inch for a few sparks when the key is released. It has a new distributor including pick up coil, and all internal electronics. Also, new (rebuilt) starter, dist cap, rotor. Swapped out the coil with a spare that checked out to spec. Ballast resistor is 1.6 ohms (per spec) and has continuity. Checked resistance on coil wire and it's well within spec. Cleaned and checked all wire connections. Disasembled the ignition switch including separating the plastic case and checking the contacts and found no obvious issues. I checked voltage on the black and white wire that goes from the ignition switch to the ballast resistor and it gets no voltage during cranking and jumps to 12 volts when key is released but still on. To add to the fun, after I installed the new distributor it started immediately and I left it warming up for about 10 minutes. When I shut it down and tried to start again, it was exactly the same as above i.e no sparky. I've checked continuity on every wire I can think to check and all passed. I dissassembled the start relay (on the firewall) and verified that both contacts activate when I put power to them directly from the battery but I haven't done any test on it while installed. I don't like the shotgun approach (replacing stuff till the problem goes away) and I replaced the distributor and starter for other reasons. I took a shot with a new cap and rotor just to eliminate them. Any one out there who can solve this mystery wins the coveted "genius mechanic of the year" award. Let the competition begin! Thanks, for any help anyone can provide. Scott