Thread: What is this sound I'm hearing??

Array
    Status
    chesapeake va
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50

What is this sound I'm hearing??

I hear a sound that sounds like a bearing going bad. cant describe how it sounds. It only happens under load until I get the rpms up. manual transmission. 2.0.

I was told carrier bearing. but I dont see where one is under there. At least I thought it was the bearing that the drive shaft goes through on some sort of cross brace. My driveshaft connects to the transmission, and then right to the rear diff.

clutch bearing?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Most likely the input bearing in the transmission. They usually go out/are bad, its very common with the 2.0 trannies atleast. It(tranny) should last a long time, just an annoying sound. Usually if its the input bearing when you put the tranny in nuetral with the engine running you'll hear a whining noise and if you push the clutch in it will go away.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    I believe the extended cab and long bed trucks had the two piece driveshaft with the carrier bearing. Ive been driving mine with a low speed howl in second gear for a while now. Definitely not good for it. Ive been getting away with it so far but I know its just asking for trouble when it fails.