Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Lower control arm bushing squeak

Alright...this is about to drive me nuts, SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK...and I'm not talking about Ren & Stimpy either. Is it just a simple squeak or is it the bushing is worn out, seems like it's just the drivers side, small little dips, doesn't do it on large bumps. I shot some lub in there but only worked a couple of days. If it comes down to replacing them, whats the best spring compressor to use. Thanks again....your pal Squeaky

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Most guys just stick a floor jack under the lower control arm, bust the ball joints loose, and then slowly lower the jack. You gotta be real careful!

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yeah well....years ago I would do that and did, but when you get over 50 your mind starts thinking a bit differently of what could happen...

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Most likely the lower bushings are shot as most all of them are, mine were gone and the truck barely had 100k when I got it. No need for a spring compressor, just put a jack under the LCA, very simple and nothing to worry about as long as the jack is under it, I have done it this way tons of times and never even came close to having a spring fly at me.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    okay, a floor jack under the LCA it is, now the question is....since I'm in there, I would like to lower it a bit, I'm not into bagging and all that, just a bit lower, just to keep my nose from bleeding everytime I drive it. Can you still find lowered spindles or is the spring the way to go?? I do want to trailer my T bucket from time to time, can I have the best of both worlds, or will lowering it do away with it's towing capability, it's a small single axle trailer and a light 4 cylinder T bucket.

Array
    Status
    Monticello, IN
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    i found these drop spindles.
    http://www.airbagit.com/spindles-ste...spi-do79xx.htm

or you can cut the springs with a die grinder a half coil at a time til you achieve the desired height. now i dont know if that will affect your towing capability.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Spindles will give a better feeling suspension, but cutting the coils is way easier and cheaper, especially if you only want an inch or so. I wouldn't go more then an inch or so if you plan to actually tow a trailer with it also.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Spindles will give a better feeling suspension, but cutting the coils is way easier and cheaper, especially if you only want an inch or so. I wouldn't go more then an inch or so if you plan to actually tow a trailer with it also.
    1" front, 2" rear? Or.... How much do you cut off the coil to give you the inch in front?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Half coil should give about 1" drop

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    airbagit also has drop coils for the mitsu trucks - if you use the shorter coils, be sure to cut the bump stop to give the suspension some travel.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    OKC OK
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Hi. I am a newbie registered member on this great forum, but I have frequently been routed to the forum when I Google a potential fix. I bought our 1990 Mighty Max, one ton, long bed, 2WD pickup from my nephew in 1997 for my son when he turned 16. We have had it ever since. I recently got a long block machine shop rebuild on the 4G64 engine. The machine shop did a great job, so now it purrs like a kitten. If you live in the OKC area, I will be happy to tell you which machine shop did the job. Since I am an old guy, I got the AC working after 20 years. It gets so cold, you can hang meat or keep beer cold in the standard size cab. It is simply great fun to drive with its 5 speed standard transmission. It is now ready for suspension and body work and then we will paint it with fine spray black bed liner. We have other car show ready cars, but we drive Max anywhere we want to go. Here is a link to a full bushing replacement kit. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/packagedeal109 I am thinking about buying and replacing all the bushings since it squeaks from front bumper to rear bumper. I have researched and tried multiple lubricants with no success. I hope there are no gotcha moments. Does anyone have any info about pitfalls to making these changes?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Using urethane bushes will firm everything up. It will feel like the steering is more direct and responsive - they are a good upgrade over rubber. There are some people who have complained that they 'squeak' but you have to ensure that all the mounting holes, flanges, bolts etc are clean and free of rust, flakes of paint and debris from the old rubber bushes. Bolt holes and flange faces are the main locations to have molybdenum disulphide grease applied (don't use rubber grease on urethane bushes - it can wreck them). Also cab/body mounting bushes can be a source of chassis noise/squeaking.
    Helpful tip - lowering the front end of your MM by 2.5" will bring the front end camber in by -1.5 degrees which is near optimal for handling.

Oh, and welcome to mightyram! Maybe start a thread in the members introductions section.

Array
    Status
    OKC OK
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks geezer101. I bought the suspension bushings from the link I mentioned in my post. They will be delivered soon, and I will follow your advice to keep everything clean.