Array
    Status
    Salem Oregon
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T

Interior trim parts

Just in front of the doors there are some cardboard panels that are in pretty bad condition. I want to get these replaced and was hoping there are some plastic pieces available somewhere does anyone know a good source for a nice replacement?

Also looking for a trim rail of some sort to cover the edge of the carpet along the door opening.

I don't even know if the D50 ever even came with the parts I'm looking for. I used to be a Toyota guy and the Toyota's had them. Might try to adapt a toyota carpet trim rail if nothing is out there.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My 86 has some really dead trim on the carpet. Doubt you could ever find it. Adaptation/modification for the win. Same for the interior kick panels. Might find something somewhere, but doing your own might be cheaper/faster. Faster being the key word.

1st Gen D50 weren't very popular and got hit with the "Obsolete" tag fast. Very cool niche trucks, but working on them now is hard. Interior 3x so.

Any standard door card will work for those interior kick panels, measure and cut. Just need to get them covered.

Good luck and post pics!

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Double post for the lose. I blame client.

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    damn, I was shopping around for the same thing. oh well. what about the carpet, a replacement runs around $85 online for most sites

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Super easy to make new ones. I used 1/8th hard board. Traced the original on the board then cut with a jigsaw. then traced a 1" strip to make the step for the weather stripping to lock into place.This is what it ended up looking like after i covered it in the fabric.

NewandOld.jpg
    new panel and old card board

NewKickPanel.jpg
    Test fit

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Pm me I have plenty of used cover rails in a few colors. They were stock on all trucks with carpet. Vinyl floor trucks did not have them.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    BTW for the guys with warped door panels and water getting in the truck................. 6 Mil plastic and butyl tape to cover the interior of the doors like they were orignally covered solves the problem! Water gets into the doors no matter what ! The water gets onto the door panel otherwise and drips on the floor soaking your carpet where your feet go . Must be butyl tape look for it on ebay. If you look carefully the door has chanels to direct the water off the platic at the bottom and without butyl tape its useless. BTW butyl tape is what was originally used black sticky stuff.

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67
    So far I havn't had any issues with my interior, except wear on the bench seat I'm taking out soon

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Super easy to make new ones. I used 1/8th hard board. Traced the original on the board then cut with a jigsaw. then traced a 1" strip to make the step for the weather stripping to lock into place.This is what it ended up looking like after i covered it in the fabric.

NewandOld.jpg
    new panel and old card board

NewKickPanel.jpg
    Test fit
    i been staring at da pix for like 10 mins and still cant figure out how u fabricated the panels. how did u get it to curve and bend w/out cracking the board? and I know u mentioned the 1/8th hard board but what kind did u use? is there a certain type? thanks.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Cut the piece a little smaller then the original on the door edge then tool a 1" strip and glued it to the back of the cut piece then traced the edge the same width as the pinch weld and cut it. that gave the panel a step for the molding.At the back where the screw hole is I moved the screw down about a 1/4" to hold it on to the original bracket.The panel is flat like the original and the board is just cheap hardboard (smooth on one side and rough on the other)in the first pic you can see the type of board the panels are on top of.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You can also go to the arts and craft store and get the heaviest poster board they have and make them out of that - thats how I remade Geronimo's and will be for the 86.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Cut the piece a little smaller then the original on the door edge then tool a 1" strip and glued it to the back of the cut piece then traced the edge the same width as the pinch weld and cut it. that gave the panel a step for the molding.At the back where the screw hole is I moved the screw down about a 1/4" to hold it on to the original bracket.The panel is flat like the original and the board is just cheap hardboard (smooth on one side and rough on the other)in the first pic you can see the type of board the panels are on top of.
    fasho. thanks a lot for the explanation. did u lay some sort of fabric ovr the board too or spray painted?

Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    You can also go to the arts and craft store and get the heaviest poster board they have and make them out of that - thats how I remade Geronimo's and will be for the 86.
    I seen some guy make door panels on his '88 ram50 out of dark gray carpet.. they looked pretty strange, but interesting. its up on car domain somewhere.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    used the interior fabric to cover them.I just used the spray contact glue on the board and the material then carefully put the material over the board.The sprayed the back side and pulled the material tight and attached it on the back side.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    oh that makes sense.. now how durable is it? idk what the stock ones are made out of, but are the homemade hardboard ones pretty tough? I dont want them to rot at the slightest sign of moisture, but then again its just hardboard. lol idk

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the original 1st gen were a fiberboard much like cardboard but slightly more water resistant. Hardboard would be better - if you can find a plactic supply house, you could get ABS sheet plastic and make them from that.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    yeah plastic sounds like it'd last longerr. i appreciate the info man. i'll see what I can find. my carpet side of my current panels still looks ok for now but i wont know what condition they are till I take 'em apart.

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    i cant trace mine out due to how bad of shape they are in. torn to boot

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Home depot sells that board stuff you're looking for. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, as well as 4' x 4', and 2' x 4'.

One side is rough, the other smooth. I'm not sure what it's called. It looks like a dense cardboard...but it's stronger than cardboard but not as strong as real wood.

Just use 3m adhesive and spring clips to hold the fabric/vinyl in place until the glue dries. Very easy. I did the entire interior of a car for less than $100 in materials, board, glue and vinyl included, and it only took one day. Aftermarket price was $1000 for the entire interior.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by eddietude View Post
    Home depot sells that board stuff you're looking for. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, as well as 4' x 4', and 2' x 4'.

One side is rough, the other smooth. I'm not sure what it's called. It looks like a dense cardboard...but it's stronger than cardboard but not as strong as real wood.

Just use 3m adhesive and spring clips to hold the fabric/vinyl in place until the glue dries. Very easy. I did the entire interior of a car for less than $100 in materials, board, glue and vinyl included, and it only took one day. Aftermarket price was $1000 for the entire interior.
    awesome tip! sounds like a perfect DIY. gives me hope to tear up my interior