Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

87 D50 here in Manila, Philippines

Greetings guys. 87 D50 owner here from the Philippines. Used to visit the old site and I'm glad to be here again.

Here is an old photo of my ride

Had it for more than 11 years as an alternate car but only recently been given it more attention and hoping to solve a persistent poor fuel economy problem.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Nice we are getting people from all over joining the site now. Welcome to the site, nice truck too!

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks.

Just a brief history of my ride.

How did it get here? I was left here after the US Base in Clark Field was closed in the early 90's and my dad acquired some time before 2000. I guess you can say I inherited it after he passed on and have never thought about getting rid of it.

What has been done to it so far? Aside from regular PMS, we did a 2 inch body lift, a bit larger tires (235/7015) and a custom shell for the back (the size of the bed is not common here). It didn't come with any A/C so we had one installed. Audio system I upgraded myself. Until recently, it still had the stock Mikuni carb........

So, its still all pretty much stock with the 4G54B engine and automatic transmission, a AW 372 (KW148) as it says on the ID plate. It is, as you all know, a joy to ride and really dependable when you need to carry a lot of things and not need a big truck.

Honestly, I've just been lurking around in the boards for quite some time now and I have to say you guys have been most helpful with all the information that you shall with the members. I find myself spending a lot of time in this site than any other lately.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    We are the best source of info on these trucks anywhere - no other forum can match the members or the experience this board has. Ask any question and we will do our best to answer it. Welcome to the board - glad you like what you see.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    charleston ar
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    welcome to the site.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks guys.

Just posted my question here. Hope its in the right section.

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Salem Oregon
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T
    Mabuhay. Gusto ko ang truck mo. Maraming truck ganyan doon sa pilipinas.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mabuhay Malaking_TT, san ba matatagpuang mga ibang may ganitong pickup?

"Greetings, where else can I find other pickups like this?"

Array
    Status
    Salem Oregon
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T
    Sa kalye lol

Gusto ko rin ang Delica at Pajero. Wala kaming ganyan dito sa US.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    have one here in Tarlac city. we do have the same tranny. mine is a turbo diesel already

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mike50, did you get yours from Clark Field also? What diesel engine did you swap it with?

Mice to know I'm not the only one around this part of the world.

Array
    Status
    Salem Oregon
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T
    I love going to Philippines. I've been there 4 times cause my wife is from Baguio. I'm not Filipino, just like to practice Tagalog. We went back last February for my mother in laws funeral. It was the week of Panagbenga.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by daxcap View Post
    Mike50, did you get yours from Clark Field also? What diesel engine did you swap it with?

Mice to know I'm not the only one around this part of the world.
    truck entered via subic port according to the paper trail.....4d56 turbo diesel. no intercooler.

Array
    Status
    Salem Oregon
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T
    Too bad we never got the 4d56 over here. I got the 4d55 turbo diesel in mine but it' has really good torque. It was a factory conversion. Still has the sticker under the hood for the conversion information. Used to be a 2.6L gas engine.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaking_TT View Post
    Too bad we never got the 4d56 over here. I got the 4d55 turbo diesel in mine but it' has really good torque. It was a factory conversion. Still has the sticker under the hood for the conversion information. Used to be a 2.6L gas engine.
    my question/etc over here might be out of place but i'll ask anyway....TT, is the overdrive still alive on your rig? couldnt get mine to overdrive. replaced the od off lamp a while ago but no place to test the overdrive. there's too much traffic over here. pennyman suggested grounding a wire at the base of the carb but i cant seem to figure out which wire was that under the hood. got a thread on the 1st gen mighty max....former horse on mine was also the 2.6 g54b.

Array
    Status
    Salem Oregon
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T
    By overdrive you mean 5th gear? Mine is a 5 speed manual and it works fine.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Looks like you've learned Tagalog pretty well there.

"Panagbenga" is the Flower Festival of Baguio (the summer capital of the Philippines). Weather there during the months of February is very nice.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    mine is more on a sorry state than yours daxcap. scratches, leaks, and so so. it's a daily driver.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My over drive still works.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    He is talking about the km148 with the 3 speed overdrive tranny Miked50, I had the same problem after I replaced the head on my truck, one way to test your o/d is to jack the rear tires off of the ground and let it idle, and listen to see how many gears it shifts through, if it only goes to 3rd, give it a little gas and see if it goes into O/D, click the O/D off and on and see if you can hear it shift back and fourth, if not there is a temperature sensor near the thermostat housing, check to see if all the wires are plugged in, if so then check the O/D relay behind the drivers side kick panel, and test to see if it works, when the truck it warm enough you should be able to shut the truck off, turn it back to on, but dont start it, and click the O/D button and listen to see if the relay clicks, if that all works then it is more than likely somewhere between the relay and the tranny. I can take a picture of where the wires go if you want me to
    1987 2WD Mitsubishi Mighty (R.I.P)
    1984 4WD Toyota Pickup (Sold 10/12)(Rolled and Totaled 3/24/13)
    1987 4WD Power Ram 50 Custom (Scrapped)
    1991 2WD Ram 50 (Scrapped)
    1992 Ford F250 7.3 (sold)
    1999 GMC Yukon (DD)
    1988 Ram 50(project)

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by abeemanator View Post
    He is talking about the km148 with the 3 speed overdrive tranny Miked50, I had the same problem after I replaced the head on my truck, one way to test your o/d is to jack the rear tires off of the ground and let it idle, and listen to see how many gears it shifts through, if it only goes to 3rd, give it a little gas and see if it goes into O/D, click the O/D off and on and see if you can hear it shift back and fourth, if not there is a temperature sensor near the thermostat housing, check to see if all the wires are plugged in, if so then check the O/D relay behind the drivers side kick panel, and test to see if it works, when the truck it warm enough you should be able to shut the truck off, turn it back to on, but dont start it, and click the O/D button and listen to see if the relay clicks, if that all works then it is more than likely somewhere between the relay and the tranny. I can take a picture of where the wires go if you want me to
    yes please. done some tests already. no luck engaging the OD. tried it first at 60kmh, nothing. pushed it a little shy of 80 kmh, still nothing...OD relay already checked and it is still good. btw, as stated it has been converted to a diesel 4d56 turbo a decade ago by the previous owner. the trany wirings are located at the left (driver's) side). kindly show me a picture of the spaghetti mess.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    My tranny O/D works great, actually the whole tranny works great, but it is useless if the truck has a rod knock that is louder than the truck itself!!
    1987 2WD Mitsubishi Mighty (R.I.P)
    1984 4WD Toyota Pickup (Sold 10/12)(Rolled and Totaled 3/24/13)
    1987 4WD Power Ram 50 Custom (Scrapped)
    1991 2WD Ram 50 (Scrapped)
    1992 Ford F250 7.3 (sold)
    1999 GMC Yukon (DD)
    1988 Ram 50(project)