Threaded View

Array
    Status
    maryville, tn
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50

Blown 2 Timing Belt, Won't Run

I have a strange issue with my g63b.

I finally got all my timing belt issues sorted out this weekend, new belts, and new ignition, and made sure everything was in order for me to try to start it.

turned the key, fired right up, but only idled for a second, before the rpm shot way way up. mine don't have a tach, BUT, i would estimate to around 4k (my foot was no where near the accelerator, and the cable was NOT stuck) THEN, a loud pop, and what sounded like a piece of paper stuck in a fan....again. This is what happened the first time the belt went.

The main timing belt detonated at the crank.

I want to know what could possibly cause the rapid acceleration, with the choke on (stock carb), because I really don't want to put a new belt on, just to have it do the exact same thing.

everything was set in time, everything was tensioned up right, nothing seemed to be sticking or any other issues.

The firing order I figured out was 1,3,4,2, with the distributor pointing to the right hand side plug at TDC. This was different than what I thought it should be, thought #1 should be straight down. Could my timing be way way way advanced, firing order be off, causing vibration in the belt...i dunno. just hypotheticals.

If ANYONE has any idea at all, hit me up, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by camoit; 04-30-2014 at 07:16 PM.