Thread: Help with fuel filter please!

Array
    Status
    chesapeake va
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50

Help with fuel filter please!

Ok so I have a 89' ram 50. 2.0 5spd. The truck ran like butt when I bought it.. ended up needing the carb cleaned out good, had a lack of vacuum in any of the lines. Anyways its been running great until today it started dying on me as if it were out of gas. if I let off the gas when it dies for a couple seconds and then apply gas it will start to go again, but for a short period. Gotta be fuel filter right? Or fuel pump?

I know nothing about the fuel pump(s) or lack there of on this truck. Sometimes I hear a eeeeeeerrrrrr coming from behind me, intank pump im guessing. But Not always and either way it has seemed to make no difference how it ran weather it buzzed or not. It only buzzed for about 45sec-1min. Prime pump I suppose?

Is there a mech pump on the block? I'm eventually getting fuel, so something is working somewhere, maybe just not well enough?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the pump is mechanical, off the head by the carb. The filter is most likely plugged, but the evap canister could also be plugged.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yea there is only a mechanical pump on the head behind/under the intake manifold, actuated by a rod and a cam lobe. The fuel filter is on the driver side of the tank towards the top. If your hands arent too big you can reach up and get it without removing anything. Filter's only a few bucks at the parts store.