Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

HID's

What HID kits can I put in my 1984 dodge power ram 50? It has the four rectangle headlights and I want to go atleast my lo beams or my hi-beams to HID's but don't know how to do that since the bulb isn't really a bulb but the whole thing.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You must convert bulbs to ones that have removable inner bulbs, then install the HID bulbs.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Usually the conversion bulbs are h4. But can vary depending on which ones you pick up. Read details on the product you buy.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Keep in mind that putting HID bulbs in an un-baffled reflector housing is illegal. Nevermind the fact people will constantly telling you that you are #1, if you catch my meaning? You also won't get high and low beam, just insanely bright beams with no other settings.

I already converted my Highs to HID, but can get away with that on the 4-headlight system, I still have legal halogen Lows until I can get to projectors.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Mine are setup on 2 bulbs consisting of a h3 bulb and my hid bulb. Hid are set on low and h3 set on high. Fog lights 3k hid kit are tied to a relay that turns em on with parking lights so I can switch between high and low keeping fogs on. Yes mine in a non projector, yes I aimed mine down to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Mine are setup on 2 bulbs consisting of a h3 bulb and my hid bulb. Hid are set on low and h3 set on high. Fog lights 3k hid kit are tied to a relay that turns em on with parking lights so I can switch between high and low keeping fogs on. Yes mine in a non projector, yes I aimed mine down to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.
    Interesting idea. Works for normal high/low, but here in Oregon driving/fog lights count as high beams. Have to turn them off within 1/4 mile of oncoming traffic. Honestly dunno if that is a DoT law, or an Oregon law.

Bi-Xenon projectors are really the best answer for headlights, though. You came up with a damn nice work-around and I like it. +1!!

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I have the 4 light system and want to put my low's to hid. would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Acuta73 View Post
    Keep in mind that putting HID bulbs in an un-baffled reflector housing is illegal. Nevermind the fact people will constantly telling you that you are #1, if you catch my meaning? You also won't get high and low beam, just insanely bright beams with no other settings.

I already converted my Highs to HID, but can get away with that on the 4-headlight system, I still have legal halogen Lows until I can get to projectors.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Did you see this thread? Put these in and have all 4 have high and low.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...a-Street-Legal)
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

where can I just by those bulbs but for only one setting? not like hi and low in one bulb. I want to keep my one light regular so it's legal but still have the HID in one bulb because the look badass and are realy bright. I do a lot of night driving and my hi beams now don't even light up street signs lol I have the 4 lights for hi and low on my 84 power ram 50. I just want to change all 4 to the removeable bulb light so I can change just the inner bulb. where can I find those?

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    I dunno about which hid bulb to get......but if your stock ones are dim you might try cleaning the connectors. I have the h4 conversion lamps from eBay....they were still dim until I bought New connectors since they were corroded.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you convert to the truck light ones it's around 60 for a set of 2. If you replace all 4 and don't change the wiring then it will work the same way it does now. I only found 1 set of legal HID lights, Truck Light made them and it was $1000 for the set. Or they might have been projector HID type. I don't remember, it was a year ago when I was looking for replacements. But as far as I know there is a set out there but there real spendy. 98% out there are for off road use only. Especially if the price is like a couple of hundred bucks.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Monticello, IN
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    i stumbled across this h.i.d conversion. maybe it would help some how.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    That video is the proper way to retrofit hids to projector housings, too bad rarely anyone does it the correct way.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    That video is the proper way to retrofit hids to projector housings, too bad rarely anyone does it the correct way.
    Agree 100%. Not easy, not cheap, but looks right, lights right, and no flying fingers/flashing high beams/visits with the local constabulary!

Retrofit kits: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Look at the FX-R Stage III kit, then look at some of the how-to's and finished examples. They also have a forum!

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

What exactly did you purchase to get them to HID? I have the same 4 light setup and want to do what you did. Where can I find your lights and the price? I replaced my HI beam wires and connectors and that helped, But not what I wanted. And would what you did to your hi beams be as legal to your low beams? Or are the hi beams unbaffled or projected like the hi beams?

Quote Originally Posted by Acuta73 View Post

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I just bought a plug and play kit off Amazon for the highs, and a pair of Pilot H4 reflector housings for the bulbs. Kit comes with ballasts, a pair of bulbs, and a generic adapter for the existing harness (consists of a pair of wires, hot and ground, with spade terminals. H10-style plug on the other end for connection to ballast). My headlights are wired and work the same as stock, but when I kick on the highs, I get super bright HID. Only legal because, well, you shouldn't be driving with yer highs on in traffic anyway.

Eventually my low side will get a pair of those FX-R projectors and some rewiring. Will have LED daytime lamps in the projectors that will turn off when the HID fire up, then because they are bi-xenon, when I kick on the brights, I will have 4 HID brights (2 in projector on the low side, 2 in reflector on the high). This might not be entirely legal, but again, not like I'm gonna have em on in traffic for someone to get picky about it, anyway.

The PnP kit will take about 30 minutes to install, including putting in the Pilot housings. Take longer to find a tidy place to mount the ballasts, TBH. Think the kit was like $80-90. I got 8000k bulbs, I would suggest 6000k. I bought them before I'd read much, turns out they get bluer as they get older. Also, consider getting a 55w kit over the 35w. 35w are cheaper, but take a good 30-60 seconds to warm up from cold. The 55w 3000k set I put in the fogs on my Ranger warm up in 10-15 seconds, and they are uber cheap Chinese garbage. Also noticeably brighter after warmed up.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I got the cibie z-beam headlights I had in my 85 ram 50 royal I had bought when the truck was new - putting 80/100 in the outer lights and 100w zenons in the highs, and I am building a high power harness for the lights with relays wired to the battery for full power to the lights. When I ran this setup with the stock wiring on high beams I would light up signs on the interstate 2 miles away bright as daylight wonder how far they will throw with a full 12 volts to the bulbs - through the harness is about 9-10 volts after the losses in the harness. These are going into the 86 project truck btw, as Geronimo has a similar setup wiring wise, but the headlights are toucan projectors - no where as good as the cibie z-beam headlights.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980