Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

Question Reverse light switch

Gonna need younr expertise on this thing. To my visual inspection everything seems normal. Into and Ou of reverse shows the bar in the extension housing move to allow the switch to move. Up and down. Although I think something is missing because old switch allows the reverse lights to stay on in any gear. As well as the new switch, same problem. Testing the switch shows the switch is normal, both new and old switch. Chiton says nothing but unscrew and thread in new switch. And possible remove gear oil to remove switch depending on switch location.

Pics preferred because I don't know how the extension housing is supposed to look in the reverse switch location (switch removed pointing inside extension housing).

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Ive had a similar problem with mine. When I realized the reverse lamps didnt work I looked at the switch and saw the wires going into it were frayed and coming apart. So I bought a new switch but it didnt fix it. In all my laziness I never looked into it any further. Figured I would just run a toggle switch in the cab if i had to

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    There is a small ball bearing that needs to be in the hole the switch screws into. had the same problem after my tranny was rebuilt.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Yup, what LSRmike said, you are probably missing the small ball bearing that goes in before the reverse sensor.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    You guys know of an alternative to the bearing? Im pretty sure I can't go to napa and pick one up.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I found 3 ball bearings around the shop. All of which came out of bad wheel bearings. Firs one looks kind of small and fits perfect in a 7mm 12 point socket. Second fits perfect in a 10mm 12 point socket. Last one fits in a 13mm 6 point and not a 12mm 12 point socket. No measuring tool available to accurately measure. Opinions?

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Found on google that the ball bearing is supposed to be 8mm in diameter in a km142 trans. Thinking my km132 similar. Can anyone tell me which of the two smaller bearings I listed is close or usable in place of my missing bearing?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Try the first one 7mm it should work - its better than no ball bearing
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Will try tomorrow. Thanks. Just worried if it's too small it'll pop into the trans and get lost.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Then use the largest one that fits in the hole - I can't believe there could be that much space between the rod and the hole that the ball bearing would fall in. Or find a good old fashioned hardware store that stocks ball bearings. The ball bearing was available from the dealer - you could try to get one from them if they will look for it.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980