Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

03' XLT Ranger FX4 4.0l

Should take delivery of my new (to me) DD on the morrow. Ex absolutely nuked my credit (502!?!?!?!), so it is sadly still up in the air a bit. Finance dude figured he could get me the credit, but man the interest I'ma pay for this one....OUCH! Thankfully I make good money and have been in the same job for 13 years. Will be a race to make principle payments and avoid that interest at all costs!

She's not the greatest, but should get my credit back on the right track and allow me to work on the D50 at leisure:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25481246&Log=0

Might even be a bit of a project later?

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well, she is mine for better or worse. Had a bitch of a work week and JUST walked in the front door, sat down, and popped a well-deserved brew.

Link is now dead beings that I own it. 5spd, AC, Pwr windows/door locks, split rear, CD changer, spray in bed liner, etc, etc. It's loaded! Crawling under the truck, the skid plates never saw anything worse than some mud. Happy thing, that. Rear diff has a MINOR leak at the input seal, something I can ignore for a while. Probably a long while.

DO have a few bits to attend to as this was a wholesale vehicle. Driver side tail light is cracked, passenger side wind break thingy on the window is broke, passenger side driving light got a rock through it, large rock chip (no dent) on the front of the hood, and the air bag light keeps flashing at me. Needs an oil change, too. Was happy as hell when I asked if they changed the oil and dude said no. Could actually see/smell the used oil in the engine. Nothing scary, but needs changed.

Will try and get some pics later today or tomorrow, she needs a bath first, though.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Still no pics, need to.

Had to replace a taillight lens, so me being me, I bought a set of LED taillights and a pair of BITCHIN bright LED backups. Also replaced the defunct stock cyclops with an LED unit. Fog lights have new housings, however they sent me a set of H11 bulbs for the 55w 3000k HID kit I ordered. H10's are already shipped. Put in a set of Sylvania SilverStar 4000k Halogen bulbs. Impressive, to say the least. NOT HID, but damn close!

Air bag light turned out to be a burned out indicator bulb for the passenger side bag lockout. Ignoring it, but I did find out how to fix it.

Both diffs, tranny, transfer, and engine oil replaced. Tranny fluid was BLACK! Idiots that never change fluids...shifts better now, though.

Cleaned the K&N that came with it, new NGK Platinums and wires in, new PCV valve in (thing has one WEIRD ass PCV...). New battery terminals as OEM were worse than cheesy and just about rotted through, and connected them to a nice new Optima.

Good wash, polish, and wax done. Really should clay bar it, but...well, just don't feel like it.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thule base rack on cab, Yakima basket rack on it. I have SPACE. Damn 6ft bed sucks.

Never mentioned how hard it was to get plugs 1-3 replaced. Full-on B***H!! Got it done, though. Fuel Filter replaced tonight. Right fog blew out, need to re-wire the harness a bit. Bulb and ballast work on the Left, not on the right. Just hoping the wire is a bit rotted and needs replaced. Halogen will light, but yellow-ish. HID won't ignite.

Found a PDF on PCV replacement. Might actually manage it! Said it was in, was not right in that...meant to say it was not in. Damn thing has a coolant loop around it...bizarre!

New fuel filter in. I took a bath in fuel...goddam EFI! Didn't mention the fact the plugs in it were Motorcraft plats...gap was .080-.084! Tolerance is .062-.068!!! Electrode? WHAT Electrode!?!?

Got 14mpg first tank. That sucks, but more PM I think will improve that A LOT.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Having 2 issues with this truck. Hoping someone has an answer or 3.

Issue 1: Every once in a while, usually after I've had the RPM high for an extended period (Interstate), OR I've had the truck in 4wd, my RPM will get "stuck" at anywhere between 2k and 3kRPM. Sometimes I have to shut off and restart the engine to stop it, other times just revving the engine a few times will clear it. Very annoying.

Issue 2: The tranny is really hard to shift, very jumpy from gear-to-gear, and sometimes refuses to go into 1st gear unless I roll the truck a bit. My first guess would be either clutch or synchros, but not sure. I'm not real used to hydraulic clutch, so it could just be the clutch, or the brass...just not sure.

I still haven't replaced that PCV valve due to how hard it is to get to, possible that answers the RPM issue? Perhaps MAF?