Thread: bolt on turbo and mani for g54b?

Array
    Status
    london, KY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

bolt on turbo and mani for g54b?

wonderin if any one knows where to find a turbo and manifold for thr 2.6l ram plug and play almost like a first gen eclipe or talon

Any one got any ideas??? =]

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Mitsubishi starion / Dodge conquest ......not really plug and play but it does bolt up.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yup, a Starion or Conquest will have what you need as they are turbo'd g54's.

FYI, there's no such thing as plug and play when it comes to turboing an engine that came n/a.

Array
    Status
    london, KY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ok so let me crearify myself my ram is an 89 carb im building a show motor / sleeper truck but i dont wanna swap out computers or do piggy backand im kinda turbo dumb, but i know how they work general concept just not the general concept of mild build settings. i dont want many people in town to know it boosted i kinda live in a rural area most people in this area dont believe its belongs in america unless its got a bowtie or got a blue circle around it so idk how easy its going to be to find a salvage yard or used starion or conquest

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Even with a starion or conquest manifold and turbo you're still going to need ECU, wiring harness, intake, injectors, etc..

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    might as well get one of there intakes and megasquirt it lol..blow thru carbs do just that,,,,,,,,blow.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    i have to agree with the other guys. turboing your motor is not a plug and play deal. there are a lot of variables that come into play when you turbo a motor. you are gonna need to have oil squirters installed in the block to to spray the bottom of the pistons. how much boost do you intend to run? what are you trying to make, horsepower or torque? how are you gonna time your motor because you probably won't be able to use the stock distributor? these are some of the same questions that i asked myself when i set my motor up to run a turbo. i had to do a lot of research to figure out these questions. the guy to ask is lsrmike, he's the turbo king around here.

Array
    Status
    london, KY
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    well i was wanting to run stock boost 6 to 8 psi the motor has ben completely redone from the bottom up .20" overs brand new head and cam, balancing shafts, timing kit, oil pump,pistons, rods; every thing but the valve cover block crank and oilpan has been replaced i tore apart the 5spd tranny pressed in new bearings, syncs. put new universal joints on drive shaft tore apart the the diff put new seals and bearings redid the whole suspension drop spindles shocks tierods ball joints im so close to having this done i rally want this boosted though so it can fit in the drive way wit my other cars my all stock 91 turbo supra {pride and joy }, and my gtp grand prix supercharged { my daily}

so is there any word on a supercharger kits or is that a long forgotten idea gone wrong ??

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Not sure if this would work for you but this system put the turbo under the body roughly where the muffler is.http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems Seen this system on a few cars and trucks, everybody that has them seems to love them.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There are 2 ways to run a carb on a turboed motor - blow through and draw through. The draw through setup allows you to run the carb more like a regular carb with bigger jets for the increase in airflow. It's also a lot easier to build the motor and get it running. As far as the distributor is concerned, if you use a vac advance from the starquest distro, it will handle the timing from full vacuum to full boost.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B-T
    TopEnd Performance has a blowthru carb turbo setup for Monteros which will work on our trucks too. check here http://www.racetep.com/monturbo.html

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I was going to mention that - but their stuff is pricey and problematic at best - the starquest forums hate them with a passion. Does give you the idea and layout for how to do it though.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Hilo hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

So I have a 89 ram50 it's carburetored 2.0 with the kits from(ststurbo or top end performance) I'll be able to turbo my truck with out doing a engine swap?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The TEP kit is only for 2.6l. The sts kit is a waste it is nothing more then a turbo, wastegate and some other misc. Stuff, you would need a bunch more stuff. Yoy could buy the tep kit and run it, but you would need a different turbo manifold as the 2.6l has even spaced ports compared to the 2.0 paired ports. But then there would be no reason to get the kit because the downpipe and turbo outlet to carb tubing wouldnt work that they supply, so might as well build your own kit.
    I would just get the carb and top hat from them and piece the rest together yourself, it will end up much cheaper then $2500. You could run 5-6psi on the stock bottom end, just not sure how long it would last. This is what i was going to do until i found a wrecked eclipse for 450.

Array
    Status
    Hilo hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Thanks man I knew it sounded to good to be true! Guess I'll just put money into other places of my truck engine swapping and custom engine mods is kinda outta my hands right now. Would've been nice to find a bolt up kit with little fab work.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Yeah the STS system is not complete, you need the piping and misc other stuff. Its also more for a EFI system.The 79-82 Mustang 2.3L turbo's were carbed, the Turbo sat below the carb and sucked through the system. not sure if you could do something like that.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There is a rebuilt carb for a 2.3 79 ford turbo kit on ebay right now - its a holley weber 2 stage 2 bbl (think dgev 32/36) for this setup. I have a friend that just built this exact setup to put in a 50's anglia sedan he has. You can also setup a draw through turbo with a dcoe weber sidedraft - they had setups for 4 cylinder toyotas and its the way I am going for my conquest motor in Geronimo if I ever get some of my other cars and houses to settle down wth problems.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This is more than do-able but is gonna cost you. With a mix and match bunch of parts you could use a 4G63 turbo manifold from a Starion, a custom made 'J' pipe to bolt down to the stock carb manifold and a modified turbo with a draw through carb like a Stromberg. You will need a modified distributor indexed for boost instead of vac and a 'V' band coupling to clamp the carb to the front of the turbo. Sounds crude but works - waaaay better than a blow through turbo ever will. Check this out as it will give you an idea of how it'll look - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post44007

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I've been in a powerful street rotary way back. Blowthru turbo/single IDF weber performed flawless. Owner/builder was a genius tho.
    Smoked the tires effortlessly @80mph. Driveability A-1. Sure its possible, but will take some effort/knowledge (or money)
    Lots of budget dawthru get the job done as well. Simpler system. A ton of info online
    I recall following this buildup long ago. Took a slow 1.6 sohc corolla from high 18sec 1/4 to 14s. Lays rubber 3rd gear
    Tremendous improvement for a budget build. Same principle applys
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6.jpg~original
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...bae71p2jw3.jpg
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...bae71p3th1.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    * I dun goofed referencing the 4G63. At this rate you could possibly track down the factory manifolds and do the actual draw through install in that video. After some tinkering on my part (I deleted the anti pollution crap and improved air flow through the CD175) and my friend knowing how to use the boost referencing we got the set up pumping 20 lbs of boost (was probably making more but his boost gauge only went to 20 PSI lol). Back in the day when these factory turbos were becoming popular a lot of the old school guys knew how to mod the carbs to produce silly amounts of HP. Sad thing was some guys had a dogmatic approach to the carb and would throw it in favour of the DCOE weber which was completely unnecessary. EFI turbo came along and suddenly the draw through turbo wasn't a 'real' turbo engine and a lot of these engines ended up being cannibalised.