Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

1st gen Air Conditioner???

Is there any such thing as factory air on any 1st gen?
    If so, common, or rare? What models?

Any braindead aftermarket solutions to add air ?

Done bakin. Gonna drive sumthin else for a while.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Both my 1980 and my 86 have a/c - both dealer installed with a factory kit. Because they were import trucks, the A/C had to be installed after they arrived in the states to up their American content, either at the dock or by the dealer. There were 2 companies that made the kits for Chrysler - lone star out of texas, and frigette. Geronimo currently has the A/C out due to me wanting to change from the old eaton style a/c compressor to a sanden rotary compressor and I couldn't find the right bracket for my 2.6. I did manage to score a factory kit missing the compressor and hoses on ebay new for $50, and I intend to use them instead of the original parts on him. The new vintage air mini units should work fine for our trucks, the compressor mount will be the tough part; there is also a tensioner pulley you will need, but one from a starquest 2.6 will work fine. You also need to add another pulley off the crank to spin the compressor - again a starquest will be the best bet - I ended up finding the compressor bracket I needed off of one.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    As far as model, any model could have a/c on it - Geronimo is a top of the line sport, and the 86 is a baseline custom - the a/c was the only option - base 2.0 5spd bench seat. It was somewhat rare to find it on these trucks, althought I have had 7 or 8 of these trucks as drivers or parts, and all but 2 had a/c. Actually, p/s is more rare - I need to install p/s on the 86 so my gf can drive it - its coming off my 80 parts truck.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Mine's a 2.3 turbo deisel. Are all the brackets the same from diesel block to gas block? (like VW's??)
    My royal came with P/S that started leaking. It's in the rebuild house right now since no parts are available.
    THanks for all the notes.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    I don't believe they are, atleast they aren't on a second gen even from gas block to gas block, my 2.0 and 2.6 were both different and neither would bolt on the 2.4l(4g64) block either I don't think.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    No, each bracket was different for the a'c compressor. Which part of the p/s leaks - pump or steering box? Edelman makes the seal kits for both, but the bearing guides usually oval for the pitman shaft off the box and those are not readily available, although cardone does rebuild the steering boxes, or at least they did.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    New power steering box= $729.00 us, Reman= $527.00us + $125us core, Repair kit(seals) $70 from Rock auto.I just did the box on Saterday with the kit I ordered from Rockauto.com as the box was leaking from all the seals drying up sitting around for 10+ years. Took me a few hrs but wasn't to bad to do.Just have to be careful the 26 ball bearings don't scatter all over the shop when you remove the gear. Put it back in the truck filled the fluid and fired it up......... NO MORE LEAKS !!!!

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You are a brave man, I have looked at the exploded schematic for those boxes...scared the hell outa me. lol

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I picked up a rebuilt cardone box for 90 off of ebay to replace the one that leaks on Geronimo - haven't had the time to install it though. It sucks that the seal kit cost you 70 in canada - on ebay that kit is 34 + ship. I give you props for replacing the seals too - I don't have the patience to try that.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Spotted a 300k mile p/s setup on a gas 86 mitsu gen 1 in the junkyark yesterday. Anyone desperate for cores?

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Dodge V8
    You kids mind if I jack a bit..?

That '86 2.6 that I have needs to have the air filled up.
    Where/which line is it that one would screw the adapter to? To use 134 of course.

Mine just has two little lines that come off the back of the compressor, and they look really close to the bracketry.
    Are there any OTHER ports to add freon to?

Thanks E

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Having never seen factory air, dunno.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    I parted out a '79 D-50 Sports with I think was factory air system. I kept all the parts for it including the dash control panel. Looks factory to me.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    [QUOTE=77amc;11276]You kids mind if I jack a bit..?

That '86 2.6 that I have needs to have the air filled up.
    Where/which line is it that one would screw the adapter to? To use 134 of course.

Mine just has two little lines that come off the back of the compressor, and they look really close to the bracketry.

You will need adapters since the fittings are different. They are different on purpose so that you dont mix r12 with r134 since they are not compatible and neither is the oil that circulates through the system to lubricate the compressor. You can get a kit but I would recommend not converting at home if you want it to last. If it just needs to have a little added youd be better off using the r12

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    R12a is compatible with both and the only thing you need to do is put a 134 adapter that goes on the low side of the compressor. Oh right you might not be able to get it in the US of A as its a Canadian invention and is excepted world wide.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    be careful of some of the r12 substitutes - they contain butane and propane and will start a fire if they leak on a hot exhaust
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    NO Pennyman that is FALSE that was what the US DOT was saying to stop it from coming into the USA. It was proven time and time again by the company that make it that it will not catch on fire. They finally got it to FLASH with an open flame after they pumped almost enough coolant to fill 200 cars A/C systems with small hole in the line inside the car. All it did was flash then blow out the windows. There was no fire in the car.

Again this is the US trying to stop inventions from other country's getting onto the US market.Funny how it was excepted in almost every country around the world 15 years ago and has only been in the US for maybe 2 years. I think the main reason is the US is the main producer of 134 and didn't want anyone else cutting into their profits so they lobbied the US DOT to make false claims to block it coming into the US.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I had always herd that combining the oil of R12 with the 134A oil will cause the hoses to burst from some reaction. I never herd of the fire thing. But hay, what the hell. You don't need AC. It's for girls.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Ester oil has been found to be compatible with r12 oil which is why it is recommended in r12 to r134a conversions.

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Camoit, you live Sac and the last two weeks have been an oven. You must drive your prius to work

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    R-12 was made illegal by congress when Dupont lost their international patent on it (and thus all the profits). So dupont cooked up R-134 (patented of course) which is about 100 times more toxic to the poor schmuck working on the system and congress obliged by making it a legal requirement. It doesn't have the heat rejection specs that R12 does, and it'll kill ya, what's not to like? BTW, back in the 80's in the Corps, we filled a/c on our 159 hp diesel HMMV's with propane and DAAMMMNN did they blow cold. When's the last time you crumpled your dashboard in a wreck? I never have...

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Bumping this thread
    I have a factory parts manual covering d50, Plymouth arrow, l200, and Galant (Saudi Arabian version apparently) from 1981, issued by Mitsubishi Japan. and it has a section on aircon for the 1st gen. So definitely was a factory option (possibly only in tropical or desert countries)

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Parts diagram and parts number

I haven't had a good look through it yet, but I don't hink there are listings for the actual airconditioning units, I would imagine these would be provided by the dealer

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'm using Scorpion/Sapporo ducts and the direct vent block off plates. The biggest problem is hooking up the side ducts to the central outlet. That blow molded channel doesn't have much clearance for a side port to be connected so it looks like I'll be having fun with a big hole saw and urethane sealant. The Scorpion outer ducts pass through the steering mount frame and the back corner of the glovebox perfectly... they don't align with the side vents 100% though. I've got some assing around to get it to work but I want something better than just the windshield and the central vents. Good resource material there tortron
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the original ducting to the dash vents were hoses like a vacuum cleaner - the A/C ducts were molded ones that went the same way - I upgraded Geronimo from the hoses to the molded ducts for better airflow - now to install the A/C back in the truck...
    Pennyman1