Array
    Status
    Lexington S.C.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Rebuilt engines

I was wondering if anybody on this website has had any experience with Napa's rebuilt engines. I have a 1992 Mitsubishi mighty max with close to 300,000 and it is using a good bit of oil. Body is still is good condition. My uncle bought new and I got the truck after he died. It only had 6000 miles on it when I got it. It has never been involved in a wreck of any kind. Anyway Napa wants about 2300 dollars for a complete rebuilt engine and I am considering putting down the money. I have had it parked for about 2 years. I kept looking for another one and found a Dodge D50 1992 model that I purchased recently with 151,000 miles also. It has had a rougher life than mine but previous owner has done a good bit of appearance work on it. Just wondering about Napa engines and if anybody has had any experience with them. Thanks for your time.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    What does it come with? Do you give them your engine and they rebuild it or is it an exchange? The price sounds about right.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    if your handy it can be done for a lot less, plus you get to put in go fast parts! I've got a 1992 6 bolt, but it only has 172K.

http://mmeierle.com/blue_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/red_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/turbo_build.htm

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    whats the warranty?

Array
    Status
    Lexington S.C.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Camoit it is suppossed to be a complete engine. I give them my engine or either pay 375 core charge. The truck I am thinking about installing it in is a mighty max sport. This truck has the tachometer, clock, power steering, carpet, sliding back glass and air conditioning. The warranty is 36 months unlimited mileage. I have some mechanical knowledge but don't think I have expertise to do a engine rebuild. I used to race dirt bikes in my younger days and did several top ends but these were 2 strokes and very simple. But in a way I would like a few performance parts. But to be honest I don't know where to get them or what is out there. I am curious about price if I decided to do it myself. How much less could I do it for? Thanks again

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Well the price sounds OK to me. I would get it then make sure everything swaps over before taking back the core. I would also strip every bolt to have as a spar. Just enough left to hold it together. I wonder who does it for them.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Lexington S.C.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    if your handy it can be done for a lot less, plus you get to put in go fast parts! I've got a 1992 6 bolt, but it only has 172K.

http://mmeierle.com/blue_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/red_engine.htm

http://mmeierle.com/turbo_build.htm
    LSR Mike I was wondering how much would it cost to do it myself. As for as performance parts I don't think I would want to do much. Maybe different pistons and that is all. I think I have enough mechanical ability to do it just concerned with the time part because of machine shop etc. I know engine would need boring and crank turned also I am not comfortable doing cylinder head work.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    1 Comp Auto Machine Jet Clean Block $40.00
    1 Comp Auto Machine Deck4 CYL Block $48.00
    1 Comp Auto Machine Line Hone Block $120.00
    1 Comp Auto Machine Bore & Hone 4 CYL Block $80.00
    1 Comp Auto Machine Crank Polish & Chamfer& Magnaflux $45.00
    1 Comp Auto Machine Balance 4 Cylinder W/Clutch $125.00
    1 78-21 Atomic Custom Pistons Pins and Rings $601.00
    1 CRS5900MA3D Eagle H-Beam Rods $348.90
    ARP 200-607 Rod Bolts $58.34
    ARP 207-5401 Main Studs $57.39
    MD997168 Engine Overhaul Gasket Set $95.53
    Calico ACL Main Bearings $72.40
    Calico ACL Rod Bearings $34.97

Just the basics. prices are a few years old.

You'll want a New water pump and Timing belt also, Case of Oil, Antifreeze, belts and hoses, etc... I did'nt have those numbers handy...sorry.

Array
    Status
    Lexington S.C.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks LSR Mike I may be getting back with you on where to purchase some of these items. I think now I may try to do my old truck myself and go back stock with it. If I am satisfied with that engine then I may tackle my other one and install some performance parts in it. Looks like I may be able to go stock for less than 1000. Is this correct I didn't see anything in list about cylinder head and camshaft though. Thanks for everything

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Cam, just clean it and put it back in. the head? Mine had a LOT of work done, plan on about 250 for a disassemble, clean and re-surface.

have a good set of metric tools, (most used, 10 MM, 12MM, next 14 MM, then the 19MM for the crankbolt) and a torque wrench. Air tools a plus. Oh yeah, an engine stand $40 at harbor freight, and a understanding wife who lets you spend all weekend several weekends in the garage. Don't forget paint!, this will be the only chance you have to clean and paint a lot of parts.!

Most of the cost is in the tools and time, if you already have them, that's where you save

Array
    Status
    Lexington S.C.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Cam, just clean it and put it back in. the head? Mine had a LOT of work done, plan on about 250 for a disassemble, clean and re-surface.

have a good set of metric tools, (most used, 10 MM, 12MM, next 14 MM, then the 19MM for the crankbolt) and a torque wrench. Air tools a plus. Oh yeah, an engine stand $40 at harbor freight, and a understanding wife who lets you spend all weekend several weekends in the garage. Don't forget paint!, this will be the only chance you have to clean and paint a lot of parts.!

Most of the cost is in the tools and time, if you already have them, that's where you save
    Thanks after looking at all the numbers I am planing to start this weekend on my old truck and go back stock with it. I am kind of looking forward to starting on my old truck because I have had it so long and it is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. I will try to get engine out this weekend. Also plan on going through suspension and brakes while engine is out. I am pretty excited right now and thanks for your help.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    $350 for the rods? Wow, most of what I've seen for rod upgrades and wrist pins are ~$800. Perhaps I look in the wrong places. Pistons seem about right, though.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    wrist pins and rings came with the pistons, The Eagle Rods were from Summit.

BTW this is a 1992 4G64 6 Bolt motor and P/N's

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    If you have a chance, take some photos of your progress and post them. I need some inspiration!

Array
    Status
    Lexington S.C.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I think I am going to start this weekend on my old 1992 Mitsubishi mighty max sport. Wife not to thrilled but will be ok with it. I plan on rebuilding engine stock myself. This will be my first car engine. Have done several motorcycle engines but all 2 strokes. Should I pull motor and transmission together or just motor? I think I should pull both together. It has took me a while but I have the engine jack now. I will get engine stand later in the week. I hope it doesn't take me more than 3 months to get it back. I am a little worried about machine shop. They seem slow around here. It looks like not to bad of a job any comments or help would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    If the trans is ok then you should just leave it in. It will be more work under the truck lying on your back.

Use a jack under the front of the trans to stop it from falling down while the engine is out. If you want to move the truck then lay a 2x4 across the fender wells and tie the bellhousing with a good strap or chain before removing the jack that is holding the tranny up.