Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

Gas tank question

Since I can't find a gas tank on here for sale, and locally wants an outrageous price, I found "Replacement Fuel Tank (P670120)" for the first gen mightymax. Is this compatible with the second gen? I do not have a comparison so need insight.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    it isnt a direct swap. ive looked in the same direction you are..

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    it is definately not the same - I have changed tanks in both and the mounts to the fittings are all different. The 1st gen the hoses go directly to the pipes on the tank with a separate sending unit. the 2nd gen tank the hoses and sending unit are all together in one place on the side of the tank for the carbed version. The 2nd gen FI tank the pump and hoses come out of the top and the sending unit is on the side. The 1st gen also had a set of expansion tanks on the top of the tank for evap purposes. I would think you could make a 1st gen tank work, but you have to have a 1st gen sending unit for it; the only person I know that has new ones is Mike Warme. New mounts would have to be made to match the new bolt pattern of the 1st gen tank. When the tank went bad on my 88 ext cab, I looked at this swap too, but found a truck with a new tank in a upullit for 45 bucks, and went with it instead.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Thanks for the heads up. The local yards are charging a price I could buy a brand new fuel cell. I'll just keep lurking the classifieds.