Thread: rough idle, lack of power, dieseling when ignition off...

Array
    Status
    denver, co
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

rough idle, lack of power, dieseling when ignition off...

Hey guys, just purchased my 1989 Power Ram 50 about a week ago. At the time I purchased it I didn't notice, but it has a bit of a problem.
    The engine seems to "miss" about every third rotation or so when idling. It still has good power from about 1200 to 3000 rpm, then the power band dies off pretty quickly after that. The idle "miss" is also causing the brake booster to pulse when braking.
    I've checked the coil, replaced the dist. cap and rotor, the plug wires are brand new, plugs look great, air filter is clean, all vacuum lines look to be in proper order, have not been able to find any vacuum leaks, have adjusted the distributor's position, and tried to adjust the carb settings, all to no avail.
    I'm kind of leaning toward a float being out of adjustment on the carburetor, but wanted to get a second opinion before digging into it.

Any ideas?

Array
    Status
    denver, co
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    also, I live in colorado, our emissions laws are not super strict, but still you need a decently runny vehicle to pass. would putting a 32/36 weber on my truck demolish my chances of passing, and also does the dveg bolt and wire directly up? do I need a conversion kit?

Array
    Status
    denver, co
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    *running
    lol damn you heineken

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The pulsating brake pedal is from a warped rotor. Replace the front brakes and rotor. As for the miss whats the timing set at?
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Check the hoses in the metal box on the drivers side inner fender - the hoses in there go to sensors that the computer controlled carb uses for adjustment - mice like to get in there and eat the hoses. A weber will pass a simple smog test when adjusted right - Geronimo passed easily witout any emissions equipment or cat, but had to put one on because no shop would make me an exhaust without one.
    Last edited by pennyman1; 09-11-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    denver, co
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, here's an update.
    Since this post I had decided to scrap the original mikuni, as it was fouled up in some way or another. Apparently it was a vacuum issue that was also preventing the secondary from opening. So i decided to go with a weber 32/36 dfev. After countless headaches trying to find the proper jetting configuration i finally got it to pass the e-test with a new msd blaster and fresh cat converter. wewh...
    now i am having an issue going up fairly steep inclines (22 degrees and higher) where it seems to cut out or stall.
    going to try adjusting up the floats some.
    also, i am getting a tapping noise from the bottom end of the block. thinking it might be oil pump related?
    other than a few small issues i've gotten the truck to run very well. Finally getting around 20mpg too.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    use a quart of Rislone in the oil in place of 1 qt - it will clean out the sludge that has built up in the engine without causing major issues
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980