Status
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

Engine flush????

Good morning ya'll,
    I have failed to change my oil in ohhhh bout 10,000 Miles or so. I asked a backyard mechanic I know. He actually races trucks, Well anyhow he told me that my valves are tapping but only do it for bout 15 miles then it stops. Some days they don't even tap. Well he recommended that I run a quart of diesel in my crankcase run it for 20 mins then drain and replace with fresh oil and filter. He told me that my oil pressure takes awhile to build up and by flushing it with diesel it will clean out my oil pickup tube. Now if I do that whats the recommended oil to run? Its a 89 ram 50 2.0 5-speed with 122,500 miles on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Diesel, Gunk 10 minute oil flush or something like that is fine. just let it idle for 10 minutes or so, then drain the oil and replace the oil and filter. 10w-30 is fine for older engines. another "back yard" trick is put about a 1/4 of a quart of automatic transmition fluid in with the new oil. that will clean all the passages out and help free up sticky lifters. If the tick doesn't go away by the next oil change then you "might" need to replace the lifters if they are none adjustable.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Interesting, I never knew you could do that with those things....I just replace em if they act up. LOL

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    That works also!!!

Array
    Status
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Alright thanks for the answer guys. I think I might have had some blockage. I am going to do the flush maybe tonight, Only reason I think I have blockage my valves have not been tapping for a couple of days now. So I suppose doing the flush should really clean things up. Ohhh on the short note,,,,Where I am noone can figger out what kind of truck I have because there is niot one badge on the truck lol. All they ask me is what kinda MPG I get. I average 25 to 30 MPG it varies. Gotta love them baby rams.....

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I use Rislone in the oil - replaces 1 qt of oil during the change - it is a super detergent that cleans out the sludge slowly, unlike diesel, kerosene, or 5 min motor flush that cleans it all out at once and can reveal more problems than you knew you had , like worn bearings, etc. It will quiet those lifters down in a hurry unless they are shot
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Wish I would have seen Pennyman's reply before I did what I did. Well Lifters are still going @ it but truck has gained some power. I am thinking of replacing the head. But I think I need to get the head without Jet valves because I plan on putting on the Weber I bought 2 yrs ago. B4 I do anything I'm actually gonna have a buddy of mine check it out. He is really good with heads. I have read all the threads relating to adding a Electric fuel pump. So I have the general Idea what I have to do......