Thread: cheapest way to get a small lift?

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

cheapest way to get a small lift?

I have the 84 ram 50 4x4 2.6 blah blah blah. I just want to lift her like three inches. i heard that suspension is a pain in the ass with the IFS so body lift is ideal? I already have springs, leafs for the rear. should I just body lift the B***h and call her good? acuta73 lifted his I believe but I can't see how in his pics.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mine is not lifted yet, just running larger than stock tires (not by much). As far as cheap, yes, body lift is probably easiest but not particularly ideal. Best is both some body and some suspension, IMHO. Too much body lift can be a pain in the ass as far as your steering goes and cheap blocks will cause nightmares.

To get my suspension lift, I will be using longer upper control arms, some extra twist in the torsion bars, and going spring-over on the rear axle. May need an add-a-leaf as well. Aside from new torsion bars, none of that is very expensive, however it WILL require a shit-ton of work.

PowerRam348 has his lifted, Rickdees also had his lifted. Perhaps one or both will chime in as to how they went about it.

Array
    Status
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    I got my 2" body lift kit years ago from a guy who designs them. He is better known for his Toyota kits but he does have custom kits for both the MM and the Montero. No hockey pucks here; grade 8 bolts and quality spacers. His name escapes me, I think it was Don Brown? I found him through pirate4x4.com. He has a web site and secure ordering. I'll post it when I find it as a link.
    The body lift with a small 1- 2" TB crank was ideal. I still had to hammer back some protrusions in the inner fender well and trim a couple inches off the lower curve front and rear of the stock fender for clearance. I have 32" mud tires, actually 235/85- 16" on 16 x 7" rims. They are more narrow than most 33" tires and don't tear up the hubs and CV axles. I strongly recommend this size over the usual 33 x 10 15" tires.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Found a link for that same guy a while back, then lost it. Think you got the name close, but not right. Will see if I can find him again, too. And yeah, found the link on pirate4x4.

Array
    Status
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Acuta73 View Post
    Found a link for that same guy a while back, then lost it. Think you got the name close, but not right. Will see if I can find him again, too. And yeah, found the link on pirate4x4.
    I found him. he's Roger Brown in CA. His web company is 4x4crawler.com. I'll post a link to the specific page after I post this.

Array
    Status
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by whitelespaul View Post
    I found him. he's Roger Brown in CA. His web company is 4x4crawler.com. I'll post a link to the specific page after I post this.
    My bad. the link is: http://4crawler.com/4x4/forsale/monterobodylift.shtml

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Linky no worky.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

Mebbe that one will work, just the home page, though.

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I just ordered a set of his lift blocks for my RWD gen 1. He had them ready in 2 days. I gotta go pick them up. $50 for six 2 inch cab lift blocks (outta some whiz bang material that mortals don't understand) plus a full set of eurethane mounts (around $100) to smooth out the sierra corduroy I live on.
    His email: sales@4crawler.com

Teaser for 4x2 gen 1 guys, I've cooked up some front lift coil springs that are very nice and new. Will be checking for interest in the future.

Array
    Status
    rockport, IN
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    know anything about getting smoother ride after cranking to tortion bars all the way now shocks serve no purpose bolts fell out and they just hang the fron end is as hard as a rock and i run 33 inch tires... truck was like this when i bought it i wanna crank them back down an possible put 31's on it any suggestions to help my ride quality maybe a larger after market shock????? if i can find one to match dont know much about these trucks but parts are hard to find love the truck thow 30mpg 4x4

Array
    Status
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I am curious if you ever made the coil springs for 4x2 I am looking to lift mine up and have been looking for ideas

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Maybe no help, but my 1st gen 2wd has L300 van springs in it and it's noticeably higher than a standard truck

Array
    Status
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    thank you i will look into them

Array
    Status
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Maybe no help, but my 1st gen 2wd has L300 van springs in it and it's noticeably higher than a standard truck
    What year of l300?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Probably a 3rd gen sportpack (buy you can get 4wd ones and they have obscene lifts). The 3rd gen was mostly made from 86 to 94. But they still make the damnned things for some countries, my neighbor has a brand new one and it's had zero updates since86!

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Actually if you have a 4wd then I recommend getting all the suspension out of a 4wd van. They are based in the same chassis
    People do quite a few lift mods to them. So probably a good source of parts

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    okay, bronco II/ranger front springs are what I use for sbc conversions.
    just have to cut off the pig tail with a cutoff wheel for 1st gen 2x4.

Array
    Status
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cylinders View Post
    okay, bronco II/ranger front springs are what I use for sbc conversions.
    just have to cut off the pig tail with a cutoff wheel for 1st gen 2x4.
    Just want to make sure I'm understanding correct they'll fit as long as you cut pig tail. Which is where it wind down to smaller point correct? Thanks for the response