Thread: 1990 2.4 litre van troubles

Array
    Status
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi L200

1990 2.4 litre van troubles

Hey Guys,

With a ton of help from mxmikie I have a new cylinder head installed in the van. It even runs and drives believe it or not. The thing is I am getting some pinging from the engine under light acceleration, and the idle is very high around 1400 rpm's. If I ground out the test plug to set the timing the idle drops down to 8-900 rpm's as it should. The engine runs great aside from these issues, and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure it out. Anyone able to point me in a direction? I have the static baseline timing set at 5* BTDC as the manual says with the test plug grounded out. The pinging is always there, but when it happens it is under light throttle, not cruising or heavy acceleration. Stock 2.4 litre SOHC with a new head, timing belt, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, etc...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    check the ignition coil and the fuel filter,see if you can adjust the idle screw to lower the idle with out the test plug grounded ,then reset the throttle position sensor(tps)

Array
    Status
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi L200
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    check the ignition coil and the fuel filter,see if you can adjust the idle screw to lower the idle with out the test plug grounded ,then reset the throttle position sensor(tps)
    I changed the fuel filter while doing the head over. I have not replaced the coil. Where is the idle screw? Also the idle is odd as sometimes it is fine, but most of the time it is up around 1500 rpms. How do you reset the TPS?

Chris

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    the idle screw is on the throttle body,if not take a picture of your throttle body maybe its different on the vans