Thread: Gen1 2wd front coil springs: what to do?

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Gen1 2wd front coil springs: what to do?

I want 1-2" lift on the front of my "Ugly Royal".

Baseline assumptions include :
    Rancho 5000's that accommodate up to 2" lift
    fresh bushings, balls, and shafts
    biggest tire that will fit (save that discussion for another day)
    I use this rig to carry heavy loads slowly on miserable dirt roads with nasty potholes,
    Down the mountain, in the rain, unloaded, handling is important, need to live to fight another day...
    Up the mountain, fully loaded, not breaking anything is important.
    Simple, eh???

Should I stuff more spring in, forcing the suspension down a little, or does that massacre handling with all kinds of evil geometry like bump steer? (right now the lower a-arms are parallel to the deck)
    I'm observing the camber curve is pretty straight up and down to full droop so that's encouraging. However that effectively shortens the tie rod lengths, but they are adjustable to some extent.
    I think I'd rather have predictable handling at a raised static ride height and could suffer some bump steer at full compression (drive slower when loaded and be gentle on the bumps.)

If the taller spring idea is feasible, which way to go on rate, same or less or more?

I see moog makes a stock replacement front coil for gen1 2wd with some relevant specs:
    9" installed height, 11" free height, 435 lb rate, .609 wire diameter, 3.4 id.

I also see moog makes a bunch of universal coils of varying sizes and shapes, including some tasty progressive winds.

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...il_Springs.asp

Any thoughts?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I had a set of 2" lift coils in an 85 ram 50 I had in 85 - the springs were from john baker racing - no longer available. with them, it allowed 31" tires without mods - 33 if you trimed the bottom lip of the inner fender.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Try here. Talk to Keith. This guy made springs for me. 1 inch longer 3/4" diameter (stock is 5/8") , also pick up 1 new leaf to add to the rear pack, longer center bolt, and new U bolts for the rear. They will make it ride rougher but it will handle like a race truck. Then get ready for it to corner like never before. Freeway on ramps become fun in 3 gear. The rear will get loose before the front. It's the opposite of what you have now. Made a huge difference on my truck. I want to say I spent $260 for the fronts. They will build you a set.

http://www.bettsspring.com/contact.php
    Sacramento
    1121 Striker Avenue, Suite 100
    Sacramento, CA 95834
    Phone: (916) 928-3818
    Fax: (916) 928-3816
    Toll-Free: (800) 704-4089
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com