Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

Seat Bracket question on 1st Gen

Hello, everyone two part question here:
    1. just curious if anyone can guide me if the 2nd gen seat brackets are the same as the 1st gen. Looking to install bucket seats in my 80 plymouth arrow currently with a bench seat.

2. Does anyone have a pair that they removed from their truck? And willing to sell?

Thank you!
    Ss.

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    1st gens are factory drilled/tapped for buckets, you just never see any (like factory air). Pull up your carpets and find the 2nd set of holes ready to go. Find a junkyard 1st gen bench and get the pair of brackets off it. Now you have 4 slider brackets. Fab the rest with steel and a welder to the chairs of your choice.

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

from what Ive seen the 2nd gen ones look almost the same spacing. I would not be totally suprised to find out that they are a drop in fit.

I work at a high end car stereo shop and a few years back we had a guy come in with a second gen truck and we wound up doing a $4000 system in the truck.

While running power for the amps I found that the 2nd gen has the exact same floor pan as a 1st gen.

I had to cut openings in the rear sides to fit the speakers (didnt enjoy that). When I did I found out that when Mitsu mad the 2nd gens, they litterally took a 1st gen body and welded on a new outer skin!. Inside the body walls of a 2nd gen, between the out skin and in inside skin, there is a 1st gen body!

So this also means that all us 1st gen owners who have dreamed of an extended cab 1st gen, all that may need to be done is to strip a 2nd gen of its outer skin to find a 1st gen extended cab body!

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well then, it's off to the yards with lotsa batteries and blades for the cordless sawzall for some good ole butcher fun. Plenty of gen2's to hack up out there. Very interesting.

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by 87octane View Post
    Well then, it's off to the yards with lotsa batteries and blades for the cordless sawzall for some good ole butcher fun. Plenty of gen2's to hack up out there. Very interesting.
    mind you thats all I could see through the 6" hole I cut to fit the speaker. let us all know if there is in fact a ful extended cab 1st gen body hidden in there if you go that far. If tehre was 1 thing and only 1 thing I could change about my truck, it would be to make it extended cab.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That also means that if you have a 1st gen with a bad floor, you can cut the floor out of a 2nd gen and replace it - wow if that is the case.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

its not uncommon for auto makers to share sheet metal between cars. Nissan uses a lot of staamped peices on many of their cars. The frame fo teh 350Z is also shared by some of their crossovers.

Lets not forget that Ford used the same basic frame on the Mustang from 1972 to 2004.

Back to mitsubishi, they seemed to have had 1 fire wall that they used on all their RWD vehicles. The firewall on my 1983 Ram 50 is the same as the firewall on my 1985 Starion. The cowl sheet metal is different, but the firewall itself is the same.

Its one of the odd benifits (?) of working at a high end stereo shop. I dive into areas of cars most people never would. So I see things on cars most people would never know.

example, a large number of the electronic devices on Subarus are made by Mitsubishi Electric