Thread: Throttle Cable busted or Carburetor jammed up ?

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    NJ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50

Throttle Cable busted or Carburetor jammed up ?

I was checking out the throttle cable for friend of mine, because after releasing the pedal the cable would not return towards the carb or I guess it would not go into the closed position. The slack is two extra inches flopping around by the pedal end under the dash. I thought the cable was broken and proceed to pull on it and floss it back and forth to see if it was broken or stuck seemed fine and moved with little resistance.

Attached I have an image of after I pushed the extra slack back towards the carb end, and you can see the cable is up and too long or the carb is not pulling the cable back into the "normal position". The throw or amount the throttle moves seems very little and that it should wrap more of the cable around. But again I never knew what working looked like. I apologize for my amateur wording, but this is my first time working with a carburetor and its a friends vehicle. I greatly appreciate any input to what looks wrong or right in the photo.

http://imgur.com/5noTg

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The spring is at the incorrect angle. It will wrap around the shaft like that. This also looks like he is not getting full throttle.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com