Array
    Status
    NJ
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

This truck truly hates me...

I had the truck out running errands in the beggining of the week, and I was gettig stuff done and on my way home to bring home the dog food for my attack monster, and when I pulled away from a traffic light I rowed through the gears, and when I hit third the truck fell on it's face. It lost all power but stayed running, but idled poorly. I was pretty sure I had just blown a head gasket, and by the time I limped it home the truck was spitting coolant and white smoke out the tailpipe. I let it cool down for a while and got out my compression tester so I could try and figure out what happened where ...

#6 was obviously shot, so the heads were coming off. It would also let me replace a few leaky seals and gaskets I have been putting off getting done. I was afraid of taking the 22 year old engine apart with fears of snapping all the stubborn intake bolts, but now I had no choice but to get it done. I got the engine torn apart today and sent the heads out to be decked and magnafluxed at a local shop....

There were a few casualties in the attack, but nothing major. All the replacement parts are already on order from my friends at Mitsu and Advanced Auto...

and everything else is stacked up in the garage behind the truck waiting to go back home sometime next week by the time everything is in and done...

I'm changing ALL the upper and front seals (valve seals too) on the engine to eliminate leaks, and I'm using Fel-Pro gaskets on everything. I had just gotten this truck back on the road after getting the rotted rear shackles taken care of, and it pukes a head gasket.
    I think it just likes sleeping in the warm, dry garage

Array
    Status
    NJ
    Vehicle

Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    I ordered new rubber coolant lines that go to, and from, the throttle body last week so I had everything ready to put the truck back together smoothly. The lines are not available aftermarket, but Mitsu said they could still get them, but it would take a week. I gave them the VIN# for the truck, and they looked them up and put in the order. They came in today :

Parts counterman - "They can't be the wrong part, it's what the computer says your truck takes"

(I almost punched him in the throat. Twice)

I had the old parts in my hand to show him when he ordered them. His manager took over and put the right parts on overnight order for tomorrow.Aside from NOT being a 4cyl truck, NOT being an automatic truck, and NOT having cruise control, the computer was absolutely right !
    I'm going back in there tomorrow with a sledgehammer. >:-(

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I don't see what you are bitching about,,, They both have a bend.....
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    And they both look like the same color, that has to count for something!

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Oh how I feel your pain....

The kids at the local Mitsu dealership parts department are truly a JOY to work with....

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    go here

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/mitsu...new/index.html

and download the Mitsubishi CAPS Program, look up the parts yourself.