Thread: in Search of Mr. Mike Warme, embarking on a minor restoration, 1980 Plymouth Arrow

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

in Search of Mr. Mike Warme, embarking on a minor restoration, 1980 Plymouth Arrow

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how I may contact Mr. Mike Warme?

I am looking for front windshield weatherstrip/gasket on my '80 Plymouth Arrow, 4spd, dealer installed A/C, 2.0 (wish it was the 2.6).

I am hoping tp locate someone within the forum who may have a set of very good condition OEM hub caps (beauty rings are a plus), the OEM plastic or vinyl flooring & stock radio / cassette.

My biggest challenge is to re cover my seats. The challenge comes from locating vinyl that resembles that stock unit back when it rolled out of the factory. Mine is tan with plaid accents.

PS: If anyone thinks I am wasting my time restoring these d50's please let me know.
    I just thought it would be neat since no one seems to be restoring the d50's back to its original form.
    PLease correct me if I am wrong. How else would learn .....

OH BTW; Just ordered my new decal....looking forward to receiving it.

Thanks
    Steve in Nor Cal

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have a set of hubcaps for an 80 and an 86 - beauty rims are 14" that can be sourced anywhere. I also have a stock 1980 am/fm stereo radio that fits into the stock opening. I have a vinyl floor mat from my 86 that I have to look at to see if its usuable - I am putting in carpet after I dynamat the cab. Let me know if you are interested.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

Engine

Hi PennyMan,

Could you please send me pics of the hub caps for an 1980 D50.
    as well the price you want for it, thank you.

Steve

My email is : Crossworth1@gmail

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you look in the diesel section you can find his phone number. Or send him a text to it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

Engine

Thank you Camoit.

BTW Is it worth restoring or am I but a handful individuals who like the resoration theme?
    Plus in CA I am stuck with a stock motor I would love to stuff a v6 or v8. And keep the exterior near stock for the sleeper look.
    Thank you for assistance and feedback
    Steve

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

Engine

Thank you Camoit.

BTW Is it worth restoring or am I but a handful individuals who like the resoration theme?
    Plus in CA I am stuck with a stock motor I would love to stuff a v6 or v8. And keep the exterior near stock for the sleeper look.
    Thank you for assistance and feedback
    Steve

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    If you are among the few of restoring these trucks then you are also a pioneer of a great new conquest in automotive history.
    I would say that you will probably not make a barrett jackson status, but you gotta do what makes u happy. The rest will fall into place.

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

Engine

Awww man! , i was hoping to get featured at Barett Jackson for my 20 mins of fame. Well at least i will be happi with my truck. The challenge is to locate parts. I dont the mega bucks to have things fabricated like the big boys. Oh well lifegoes on :0)

Thank you for your opinion.

Steve

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Welcome, there are a few people on here that are restoring their pickups, most are going for the custom look though. You can stick a v6 or v8 in your truck and still be smog legal, even though you're in Cali it isn't illegal, just some rules you gotta be aware of.

Engine has to be same year or newer then the truck you're putting it in, you have to have all smog equipment that came with engine originally and put it in, don't customize/modify the oem equipment(don't make it noticable atleast).

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

Engine

You can stick a v6 or v8 in your truck and still be smog legal, even though you're in Cali it isn't illegal, just some rules you gotta be aware of.
    Engine has to be same year or newer then the truck you're putting it in, you have to have all smog equipment that came with engine originally and put it in, don't customize/modify the oem equipment(don't make it noticable atleast).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea: Any suggestion on the easiest swap to perform. Any welding involved? Cuz I do have a welder.
    I all for more power.

I did find me a new front windshield weather strip thanks to Pennyman1 & Camoit who sent me the lead. One step closer but so many to go.

Paint is now an issue in CA due to water based paints. I was told by the paint shop it may be best to respray the whole truck since the color matching is not that great with the new water based paints, despite the aid of the computers blending the paint.
    Its a learning curve of sorts....I guess.

I do recall water based paints on the GM cars in the early 80's. As it aged is the paint would flake off from a garden hose....I will never forget that experience. Thankfully my Dad was there to witness it. We were both shocked.

Thank you DroppedMitsu

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    The old water born paints SUCKED, had an 85 Mustang that was silver and the paint all flaked off in the first 5 years.It wasn't the paint that was the real problem but the water born primer they used at the time.

The current water born paints and primer's are great, been using them for the last year or so and they lay down great,are easy to work with and clean up is a snap. Repainting over old paint works great too, the high solid water born paints cover fantastic as long as you sand out the old paint for the new paint to adhere. Since 2005-2006 all new cars/truck have been using water born primers and paint. in Europe its the only thing they use.

The 2 main company's to use are BASF and PPG for the water born. not sure about some of the other company's

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

Engine

Thank you Fordubishi

Your post post has given me a vote of confidence on opting to respray the truck. I will try to gatherr up all the rubbers seals, tailight lenses etc, before I pull the trigger on a complete re-spray.

I am a tad anal. I may seperate the bed from the chassis. I need to anticiapte what I may need like the rubber spacers/ cushions between the bed frame and chasis. And factoring in some of the fastners may have to be grinded off due to rust and grime.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Hey guys quick note....... 1 day paint still uses oil based 2 stage paint in california. Go figure..... seems like its the collision shops that faired worse. Anyways there paint material is awesome. a couple pointers...... I would only go with their premium job which ends up being $1500 with color sand and buffing. If you go cheap than they will literally hose the truck off and spray a sealer primer and than finish it ! My personal way with them is doing the body work myself along with a block sand to get the body very straight. Some of these trucks have nasty looking spot welds showing through to the outside from where the inner wheel wells where welded to the bedsides.

With as much as a chinese windshield gasket costs now they can keep them. They are $80 on OEMMITUSBISHIPARTS.com MB106175 is the part number with trim. If you don't want to use the trim than you are stucjk with china. Also Steele rubber makes door seals for the first gen truck. BUT ONLY THE SEAL AROUND THE DOOR. $80 on ebay.

Steve, I have looked and looked...... Let me know if you find anything similar to the OEM cloth. I gave up years ago. The bed cushions should be fine still. With these trucks..... I only buy them with almost zero rust as the ones without rust are a pleasure to disassemble because of the Japs and their zinc plating on all the fasteners. However if they sat under a tree for 10 years or buried in a vegetable garden, or even hit rock salt than forget it! There are still many for sale and plenty cleans ones.

I will post some photos tomorrow of my rebuild project. Its an 83 diesel painted original and restripped original.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Also Steve, DO NOT do anything to your truck unless your heart says too. Knowbody will appreciate your work but you when it comes too selling her someday. Unless its a diesel you will not get your money back. D50 scene is plagued with cheap fuckers that want everything for free or next to nothing. So I do my work because I WANT IT. Not because I anticipate value..

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

Engine

Two Part Message:

1. Thank you CAMOIT & others ( other thread I posted with the forum) for helping me find MikeWarme aka Vickys1975.
    I luv his eBay stuff. I plan to hit the buy it now for window seals, and possibly another part. Just got busy with life.
    I will probably start a small of collection of parts. In the event I re-paint my orange truck.

2. I did find a paint shop that still has urethane 2stage paint . Tempted to buy it, but uncertain on shelf life. HOWEVER THANK YOU FOR THE RE-ASSURANCE the next gen water based paint is better than the released in hd mid &0's.

PS: LOOKING FWD: To pics of diesel re-spray.

Pps: sorry for the dumb "question of the week"
    Why are diesel d50's holding value and not gasoline? Fuel Economy?
    I was under the impression 4x4's where the only ones holding it's value. I am just curious. I like the D50's. For it looks not for it's "possible" collector status in the next100yrs. Which truly will not matter to me since I will not be around. Plus I think most would have rusted away in another 100yrs.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I'm with you! I like the looks. But anyway the diesels have always been a rare popular hit. The one i have was bought by my father in 83. People have always asked "You wanna sell it??" Just saw a decent 4x4 go for $6300 on ebay. And it didn't have the greatest paint job or a nice interior!