Thread: 1994 cavalier weird throttle issue??

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks, BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50

1994 cavalier weird throttle issue??

hey everyone i have a 1994 cavalier RS with a 3.1L v6. over the last few months it developed an issue where when you stomp on the gas right to the floor it sputters before it revs up. doesnt always do it just mainly when its warmed up. changed the throttle position sensor and the fuel filter, has new plugs and wires, and otherwise runs perfectly fine. pretty sure its not an ignition issue, seems more like over/under fueling or something but im kinda stumped. any ideas?

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Had about the same issue with my old Saturn (96' ?). Best bet would be injectors, IMHO. After that, coil packs, assuming it's running them.

Makes me think of my poorly tuned Carb. Definite hesitation.

Might consider O2 sensor, as well.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks, BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50

coil packs

was thinking coil packs but its not a misfire, just a fueling issue. and coil packs seems to get worse and worse and ive driven thousands of miles since this problem started. never gets any worse

Array
    Status
    Bridgeville, DE
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    try unplugging the MAF, you'll get a code, but if it clears the issue, then that is your problem.
    you may also be having a lean issue causing a slight detonation, which would cause the knock sensor to retard timing. try running some injector cleaner through it, with octane boost preferably.
    the "smarter" vehicles can be a pain to figure out sometimes, but don't throw parts at it, if you dig around long enough it's usually something simple.