Thread: 1986 2.6 Flooding

Array
    Status
    Nampa,Idaho
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50

1986 2.6 Flooding

I have a 1986 D-50 with 2.6 4 wheel drive. When I had it smog checked last year the carb was idleing rich, the mech adjusted the carb, and it passed the test. When it started getting cooler it started acting up. Now when I start it I have to hold it full throttle to keep it running till it warms up. The Maccuni Sullix is alot different than a Holley or Carter and I can't tell if there is a adjustment for the choke. Any one have any ideas? I would like to put a Webber on it but with the emmision test here I can't.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    When it's cold pull the air cleaner top and look to see if the choke is closed. If it's closed then you need to adjust the idle mix screw. Or does it run like crap and puff out black smoke?
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Nampa,Idaho
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    The choke is closed. When I hold the choke open it runs better. As far as running bad and black smoke it's only because it's flooding. Is the idle mix screw the bottom one on the side? That is the one they adjusted to get it to pass emmisions.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Sounds like it has something keeping the float to high, or you need to turn in the idle mix screw just a tad. But then again your linkage may need adjustment. Look in the manual and source inf section. Look for the first gen factory manual. Grab the carb section. It will show you how to check the adjustments. It sounds like the guy turned the wrong screw. There was a thread we had running for a while on the adjustments for a carb. You will need to look around or use the search to find it. I don't remember what guy it was. The factory manuals are the best place to start. Once you get it back to factory we can go from there. is your choke electric or does it have the water lines and thermal wax?
    Last edited by camoit; 03-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Nampa,Idaho
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Thanks for helping me with this. The carb I have is the one with water to it with the thermal wax. I can't remember if the manual I have is Haynes or Chiltons. Is there a factory manual I can get or another one that is good? I don't think it is the linkage because I don't think any of it was messed with. How do I search for the thread you mentoined?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You will find your manual in this section. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-Source-Info
    We have around 300 now.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.