Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Brake Issues

I have a 1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, solid front axle, disk on the front, drum on the rear, and I was out driving today, and my brake light came on, so i checked the fluid and I was below min, so I filled it back up and off I went, but I noticed the pedal would be soft, to a point, then all of a sudden I had alot more braking power, but when i let off and pushed again, the brake would work fine.(It did this to me a few weeks ago, and I had enough fluid, then the brakes seemed to work fine after a while) I am just wondering what could cause this. I had an issue on my mitsu after the master cylinder died on me, and it would not push any pressure though. I am a little afraid to drive it much more because I don't want the brakes going out in traffic (Emergency brake cable is broke, so no E-brake). My friends dad said I could have a leaking wheel cylinder, and when I press and hold the brake, it will very slowly begin to fall to the floor. Any info would be appreciated
    Last edited by abeemanator; 03-18-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Array
    Status
    Bridgeville, DE
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You should be able to do a visual inspection to determine where the fluid has gone. If it has been leaking for a couple weeks, there should be fluid showing where it is leaking.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Also take a look at the front pads. If there warn down where they need replacement then that will explain where the oil went. Just replace the pads and the level will be back up. If you added fluid and replace the pads then you will over flow the reservoir. You will need to suck some out before replacing them. Otherwise you will get a major mess.

One more thing if the pedal is slowly going down when holding pressure, then the master is bad. It might be filling the booster with fluid. That means it will be going out soon. Many times they leek internally so nothing goes in the booster. You will tell once it comes off. Just look to see if it's wet inside.

One last thing. If you hit the brake and the pedal is low, then pump it once and it's high then the rears are not adjusting. Take them apart clean or replace the hardware kit. Re adjust them using a safe set tool or crank them up when the drum is on.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-19-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com