PDA

View Full Version : 1980 D50 Dash Instruments not working

jackdangle
02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I started my truck today and noticed that all gauges (except for mph and turn signals) are not working. I looked for a fuse that may need to be replaced but couldn't see one that had been blown. Has anyone ever had this same problem? Any help is appreciated!

camoit
02-19-2012, 01:25 PM
First try pulling the fuses and putting them back in. If that does not fix it. On the back of the dash there is a little rectangle mettle box. That drops the voltage. It might have gone by by after 30 years. You will need to find another one from any first or second gen truck. You can check there for voltage. If voltage is present on both sides. 12VDC and 3VDC then look for a bad ground. You are entering the realm of the old wiring. I can't remember if the voltage output is pulsed or not.

pennyman1
02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Also check for cold solder joints on the flex circuit board. I have several spare instrument clusters if you need parts.

Fordubishi
02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
I have 2 parts gauges that are from an 80 2wd with no tach and an 84 2wd with no tach. both have parts missing as I used them for my custom gauge cluster. they would need the light filter (showing the idiot lights) and you might have to change the speedo to yours as mine are in KPH not MPH. if you're interested message me your address and send you one if you need it.

Top is 80, Bottom is 84

jackdangle
02-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks for all the help. I think I'll head to the junkyard tomorrow and pull some parts. Hopefully they'll work, if not, I'll be back on here again!

GermanTrooper
04-15-2012, 10:08 AM
I you still have the 2nd cluster for the 84, I'm in need of it. Pm me if you still have it please.

gordiray
04-22-2012, 07:28 PM
I have an 82 D-50 whose gas gauge and temp gauges stopped working, conincidentally(?) after being in a smog shop for 2 weeks. Have not yet removed the inst. cluster to see if the gas gauge and temp gauge display voltage dropper/regulator is still there, or to test it. Does anyone know of a source for those regulators or an equivalent/near-equivalent? National Semiconductor? Motorola?

camoit
04-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Call these guys and see what they say. It's all they do.

Commercial Speedometer
2446 Evergreen Ave
West Sacramento, CA 95691
(916) 371-5873

irotagrup
04-01-2013, 12:56 AM
I was wonder about changing my gauge clusters from my 82 power ram 50 no tach for an 85 gauge cluster with a tach, anything special i will need to do this? any help on this would be awesome. thanks

Andy 2
04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Check that your engine ground wires are making good contact. One from the battery to the engine and one from the engine to the firewall. Mine came off once and all the gauges quit.

gordiray
10-16-2013, 02:50 PM
The temperature gauge started working, but the gas gauge is not. Passed smog a few weeks ago. I can survive by recording gas buys and carrying a small amount of gas in an approved filling container. Have not been driving it much since Nov. 2011.
The gas gauge has never been totally reliable, since I bought the truck in rusted condition of storage in a near-ocean location (ex-Navy, perhaps on an island, or near the water in a harbor) It failed about 15 years ago, causing me to miss an appointment, but began to work again , with what was a nonlinear indication of the quantity of fuel remaining. It was not bothersome enough to pull out the tank, find a replacement ( which would be similarly aged/defective?), and install.

Fordubishi
10-16-2013, 05:31 PM
you can get brand new gas tanks for the 79-86's and you might be able to find a new sending unit on Ebay.

pennyman1
10-16-2013, 05:34 PM
for 1st gen sending units PM MikeWarme on here - he has them NOS - I bought one as a spare.