PDA

View Full Version : Revival of the “Tank” a crying shame

Law Dog
05-17-2023, 12:01 PM
Retired from full time work 10 years ago I wanted a daily driver and did not want the big payments and insurance hassle. I decided to build a D50 out of several trucks that I had at the time. One was a 4WD stick rust bucket with a nice 4WD drivetrain but the frame was shot (looked like it sat in a swamp) the other was a clean 2WD that had a solid body on it, a ranch vehicle no rust. SD is easy on truck bodies with limited use of salt outside the bigger cities.

I located a good frame in ID and had a U ship hauler bring it to SD and plopped it in the driveway, for the next 3 months I took the 2 trucks and built one good truck on the ID frame. The 2WD cab needed the A/T hump modified but that was no big deal really. Brake lines needed some modifications also clutch pedals added to it. I had the ring and pinion put on the posi unit the 4WD truck had in it even had to switch out the differential housing it was that rusted. Lucky they are all the same so I used the 2WD housing. Axles seem to be the same also.

I put new everything on it that I could find I mean everything I figured I had over $5,000 into it but I got that back having a dependable ride and no payments and crazy insurance premiums. Added an extra leaf to the rear springs and man it could haul the firewood in low no problem and I trap 7 months out of the year and my gear is heavy.

Long story made short I had a coal from the boiler start a wood pile on fire in some hurricane winds we get at times that the truck was caught in, it burned the back off my fur shed and most of the “Tank” was destroyed. The engine and trans both fresh rebuilds look like they will be OK maybe because the truck body burnt rather than the ground underneath the truck. I started to get it ready to move into the shop I’ll pull the bed and body off since they are scrap now for a closer look.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27819&stc=1
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27820&stc=1

Mods if this belongs in the blog section then you can move it no problem. Thanks

geezer101
05-18-2023, 12:54 AM
No words... :blue1:

Law Dog
05-22-2023, 08:05 PM
We tried to move it to the shop with a bobcat the transfer case and trans shifter are stuck in 4WD I’ll need to drop some driveshafts to get it moved now. Planned on pulling the cab off but the dash melted onto the floor bolts can’t hold the bolt head at the bottom of the firewall to get the nuts off. The bed just spins also with the spacers missing.

My hopes to revive the Tank are fading fast I might end up parting it out instead not sure how damaged the frame is let’s just say the leaf springs arch upwards now. Will check the posi, engine, trans and the front axle and the front suspension look salvageable maybe. Down picking up a 90 D50 3.0 manual to haul back to SD tomorrow will look it over one more time before I buy it.

Law Dog
06-04-2023, 04:56 AM
Got the cab bolts out the other day it appears the bed bolts must be rusted solid it looks like the bolt welds are breaking before the nuts will loosen up, bought a new cordless DeWalt 1/2 inch impact it shattered my universal swivel on one weld that held. Changed out the trans shifter should be able to move it to the shop now to pull the motor, trans and posi out of it.

Anything from the back of the cab forward drivetrain wise should be salvageable the axle boots look good even. Both are newer axles and so are the brake parts I’ll pull the whole axle out. Torsion bars must be good as the front suspension is still up unlike the rear suspension that collapsed with no arch to the springs.

It looks like I’ll scrap the “Tank’s” body and frame, too much heat damage but most of the drivetrain I’ll put into a 87 extended cab I have well engine, trans and posi that is. It’s just needs an engine and trans the rest of the hardware has all been replaced already on that one.

Still need to gather some parts for the 90 Sport V6 those are very year specific parts I’m finding out now. LOL heading south soon in search of a short bed and gas tank. Always searching for parts it seems like but cruising a junkyards it makes my day.

Fingers
06-04-2023, 11:51 AM
Always searching for parts it seems like but cruising a junkyards is makes my day.

Right, It's like a mall, but for men!

geezer101
06-14-2023, 11:41 PM
One mans' broken dream becomes another's inspiration ;)

Law Dog
06-15-2023, 04:35 PM
Got other trucks to build now LOL. I’ll pull the drivetrain I think the back of the frame is compromised we will pull the bed and cab this weekend and look it over.