PDA

View Full Version : How to tell..

Rymar Garage
01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
So at risk of sounding like a complete newb..
Background
truck was running when parked 11 years ago
stripping down and cleaning and putting new gaskets and such and decided to throw a wrench on the crank and try to turn...and it moved....a little bit maybe an inch or 2 then nada..
so wtf does that mean? am i not trying to turn it hard enough(wasnt giving it a ton of force but was pulling) or is the motor f***ed and i need to yank it out of the way now before i waste more time on it

Fordubishi
01-29-2012, 02:18 AM
probably a rust ring, take the plugs out and spray WD40 or Sea Foam oil in each of the cylinders then let it sit for a while. after that turn the crank back and forth and it should free up. I had an engine sitting around here for 7-8 years that did the same thing, did the oil and it finally started turning free. once it fired up it smoked like a female dog for about 10 minutes then ran fine.the car finally died 5 years later do to rust and ran with no problems till it was scrapped.

Rymar Garage
01-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Awesome thanks for the advice. will be trying that today.

Rymar Garage
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
yup so with some joy and some regret it spins just fine, i left it in gear while trying the first time haha wow. thanks for the help though!