PDA

View Full Version : 1997 gmc sierra grinding while shifting

leonwold
12-29-2011, 11:29 PM
i just picked up a 1997 gmc sierra 4x4 cheap. 5 speed manual. once in a while (often but not regularly) it makes a grinding noise while upshifting (never down) and sometime you can feel it in the stick, somtimes in the clutch pedal. doesnt feel like gears grinding though. sometime it grinds after its already in gear till you release the clutch pedal. drives perfectly fine though with no clutch slippage or popping out of gear. so im not sure what to think, any ideas? thanks (it doesnt grind when shifting into reverse so im sure the clutch is being fully released, and when you just keep hitting the clutch after its in gear theres no strange noises. and no abnormal noises when clutch is depressed at red lights and whatnot)

LSR Mike
12-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Syncro's are shot.

camoit
12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Yep trans needs bearings. Things are failing in there. Someone ran it out of oil. What engine does it have?

leonwold
12-31-2011, 12:10 AM
it orginally had a 305 but now has a 350. vortec. clutch has been done a couple times i was told by the previous owner. friend of mine took it for a spin and is thinking its the input shaft bearing. because its definitely not synchros since its never done it downshifting. i think i'll just find a cheap trans at a wrecker and throw a new clutch disc in while im at it

camoit
12-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Just take the trans to a shop for some bearings and a reseal. It will be fine. Better then a junk yard trans. Then you will run into the same thing. If it was auto then it would be bucks to fix. my guess is under 400

pennyman1
12-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Agree with the others - have the bearings and synchros replaced and new seals. That's a t5 tranny, its not a lot to fix those. Back in the 80's, john Baker sold a bell housing to put a t5 behind the 2.6; it was a pricey item - 500 bucks - and has not been available from him for years.

leonwold
01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
its called an mg5 tranny. (nv3500). no removable bellhousing. i see on ebay i can get the rebuild kit for under 300 bucks. im sure i could do it myself since im a mechanic by trade, we will see haha

camoit
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Then get R done, man...... It's not that hard. You might need to take the shaft to a shop to press off a bearing but thats about it.