PDA

View Full Version : LED Headlights burned charging circuit

willcruise
05-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Good morning Mighty people,
I have a problem I created by upgrading my Headlights. I got a pair of turbo SII nice lights to pair a new set of LED fog lights I installed prior. When I turned the lights on dash lights dimmed until I started driving when they when back to normal. After that it stranded me the following day with a dead battery. I got out and checked both alternator and battery and both checked ok. Checked all the fuses and they are all ok. I honestly don’t know what to do next???🥴

Giovanni89
05-04-2019, 05:47 PM
I would start by checking the current draw of the new headlights with an ammeter. I would think the headlight wires would melt before the alternator wire if they were the culprit. a 120 watt bulb should draw 10 amps. Not sure what the wattage of your led's are, but if we assume 55 watts, that should be about 5 amps a headlight.

geezer101
05-07-2019, 08:19 PM
The LED's "shouldn't" roast the alternator but there may be any number of reasons for the failure. Check all of your ground leads - they are responsible for all kinds of gremlins when they get fouled up. Check the main battery lead for signs of corrosion. Also take a look at your alternator. Always a chance someone swapped it for a low amp unit or there is actually something wrong with it like a cooked diode. It might be time to beef up your charging system with a higher output alternator anyway...