PDA

View Full Version : 20 year nap / 85 Montero resurrection

Dr.G
01-03-2019, 08:10 PM
I joined this forum in Aug 2018 desperate for a hard to find flexplate. After a member ( haruman ) came to my rescue I have been hard at work turning my little forgotten Montero backyard find into a daily driver. Here are some photos from the process.
21451 Brought from California to rest here in Arizona for about 20 years before I found it.
21452New shoes after lots of work and test drives. Cleaned up those old Enkies for some classic appeal.
21453The only way to go, right! Original carb had no chance at a second life. It was rough but I still have it if anyone needs parts.
21454Heater core sprung a leak and without an evaporator in sight I decided to ax the whole unit for a Vintage Air. Didn't hurt that I'm a Vintage Air dealer. ( mock up box seen here ).
21455Fit almost perfect
21456Due to coolant getting everywhere under the carpet I pulled it all out and decided to sound deaden to floor and roll out all new jute padding.
21457Late night working on the floor but like I said I'm driving it daily so I got either keep going or drive it half finished. As you can see the Vintage Air tubing is hanging unfinished. Gotta pull the dash one last time then that'll be nice and tidy.
21458A photos with friends :)

Thanks again to you all at mightram50 for your help. I've been enjoying my Montero so much that I rarely touch my other two vehicles. If there are any parts that you see I'm not using and you need them please ask and I'll gladly part with them. I wasn't prepared to make this a whole build thread tonight but I'll keep posting progress photos from time to time.

tortron
01-04-2019, 12:18 AM
Looking good mate, I do love a brown car.
Don't really get those vintage air units over here, but looks a tidy install. Might keep it in mind

geezer101
01-04-2019, 03:51 AM
Nice work! Hard work and persistence pays in bucket loads. Your Monty looks like it's fighting fit now, especially with the refinished Enkies keeping it period correct. You made retrofitting A/C look easy (goes with experience I bet) World needs more guys like Haruman when you need 'em. It's what the forum is all about :clap:

Dr.G
01-07-2019, 11:53 AM
New manual hubs went on today. After spending a week making sure the P/N MD886389 would fit. So I ordered the cheapest knock off hubs I could find in the USA. Yes I'm cheap and impatient but since ebay and Amazon both said these hubs wouldn't fit my Montero I didn't want to chance ordering expensive hubs. Turns out they fit perfect. I guess 28 spline manual hubs are pretty standard for most Monteros / Mitsubishis across multiple platforms.
21473Ugly old AUTO hubs. They didn't give me warm and fuzzies on my last wheeling trip so they had to go.
21474bye bye
21475Found on ebay for $55 plus free shipping. If they last great! If they break then at least I know the expensive ones will fit.
21476Looks and acts like a proper off roader now :)

Thanks for reading

Dr.G
01-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Some photos of the dash out for the last time before I button up the Vintage Air install. As of right now I only have the heater hooked up. Waiting on time, money, and need to source / make brackets for compressor.
21488This is a Vintage Air Gen II Super. Their next to biggest unit. Gen V was too big and too expensive in my opinion. Although if I took the time to measure and test fix the Gen V and cough up the cash I could have retrofitted sensors to the original HVAC controls. So I'll just be installing the separate control panel below thew radio. I'll upload more photos when completely done.

Dr.G
01-14-2019, 11:58 AM
PARTS UP FOR GRABS! I'm not selling these because I want someone to actually take them off my hands instead of throwing them in the trash. If you see something you want just pay shipping or come get them ( Gilbert, AZ ). If you want me to ship them to you all I ask is you make this as easy as possible. Pick your preferred shipper and I'll run it down there. Time is money so if you want to reimburse me for my time I'll definitely accept donations of money or partially used gift cards.
21526There's a carb and air cleaner, most of the heater / blower parts from under dash ( heater core leaks ), rocker arm assembly ( not sure if actually for Mitsubishi ), and a fresh air valve ( broken ).

Dr.G
01-14-2019, 12:01 PM
21527also there's a computer, fuel pump with lines and canister thing ( not sure if good ), vacuum line with random solenoids and stuff for carb/ emissions.

yamahlr
01-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Great work!

haruman
01-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Awesome, I was wondering how this project was going! Glad I could help. :)

travhous
01-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Looking great!!! I have looked into the vintage air and it's nice to see pics of someone actually installing one. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.��

MrPaco
01-21-2019, 11:51 AM
After spending a week making sure the P/N MD886389 would fit.

Dr.G, from your research of the locking hubs and this specific part number, do you know if these would fit an '87 Power Ram 50 as well?
Thanks

Dr.G
02-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Dr.G, from your research of the locking hubs and this specific part number, do you know if these would fit an '87 Power Ram 50 as well?
Thanks

If you're Auto Hubs look like mine I'd be willing to bet that yes they'll fit. I got mine super cheap on ebay and they've been tested twice already. So for so good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Manual-Wheel-Locking-Hub-For-Mitsubishi-Montero-Pajero-Triton-L200-MD886389/142704039153?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

"4x4 MANUAL LOCKING HUBS - Available NOW
Fitment:
1982 to 2000 Mitsubishi Montero
1987 to 1989 Dodge Raider
1982 to 1993 Dodge Ram D50 4x4 Pick-up
thru 1981 Plymouth Arrow D50 4x4 Pick-up
1982 to 1994 Mitsubishi MightyMax 4x4 Pick-up
Description: Mitsubishi OEM Brand New Manual locking hubs." http://www.ns-micro.com/~tuffpans/

My recommendation is if you're going to ran big tires or a front locker then get the expensive ones.

expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/needed-asap-manual-hubs-gen-2-2-5-i-have-looked.129316/

Dr.G
02-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Looking great!!! I have looked into the vintage air and it's nice to see pics of someone actually installing one. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.��

I've only been using the heater so far and it works great. Should be getting the A/C finished up in the next few weeks. I will post pics of that installation. My only disappointment so far is that my factory controls don't control the new unit. Some cleaver engineering or spending more money on the newer unit could remedy that but I'm just going to live with two sets of HVAC controls. I'll post pics that also show this.

Dr.G
02-20-2019, 04:39 PM
This Montero just continues to impress. Loaded with stuff for a 4 day trip into cold snowy weather it handled steep grades and 8-10 inch deep snow covered trails better than my expectations.
21846 21847
For it's outstanding performance and problem free cabin stay hundreds of miles from home I rewarded the Montero with shiny new Diamonds

Dr.G
02-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Cleaned up the center dash a little. Still need to address the mangled radio hole but until I settle on a new deck that I like I'm going to leave it.
Not sure why these uploaded sideways and upside down..

geezer101
02-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Great stuff man. And to think this had been laid up for 2 decades...:thumbup:

Dr.G
03-29-2019, 04:20 PM
A/C Update! It's done. I spent a few nights in the shop finishing up my A/C because here in AZ " summer is coming ". This is a Vintage Air Gen II Super kit, 14-fitting Extended-Length Beadlock Hose Kit w/ drier, and a sized to fit condenser.
2220422205Getting started w/ measuring and compressor bracket mock up. Instead of trying to find an original a/c bracket and using a reman old school compressor I went with a tiny modern compressor and made mounts.
22206Since I couldn't find a compressor belt pulley, adjuster, or bracket I decided to use the alternator belt and use the alternator as the adjuster.
22207condenser installed with hand made aluminum brackets. Even though I was trying to avoid cutting holes I ended up doing it anyway to get the line ran where I wanted them.
222112220922210Pushed the lines through the old grommet where the wiring for the computer once was. It was perfect because I didn't want to drill holes. Blocked off Fresh air opening since there isn't an easy way to utilize it with this unit. plus I still have the outer vents for fresh air.

2220822214Compressor lines ran and time to vacuum and charge the system. About 1.3 lbs of R134a. Cold air at last. I'm getting temps in the 40-50 degree F range.

I'm invested in this project about $1200 not counting my labor. Which I'm pretty happy about. I would have much rather kept all the original HVAC but finding good quality new or used parts as becoming an impossible chore and I would have spent way more time and money to not only get A/C in the Montero but also fix my heat.

Gen II Super - Heat Cool and Defrost https://www.vintageair.com/builder-series/?subcat1=Gen%20II%20Super

Beadlock 14-Fitting Extended Length Refrigerant Hose Kit with Drier for 134a https://www.vintageair.com/hose-kits-fittings/?subcat1=Hose%20Kits

046702 - Sanden SD-7B10 Front Runner Compressor Double V-groove pulley Standard Finishhttps://www.vintageair.com/accessories/?subcat1=Compressors&subcat2=&subcat3=&order=&pageno=5[/h]

Dr.G
03-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Great stuff man. And to think this had been laid up for 2 decades...:thumbup:

So awesome! from this
To this! Last weekend we traveled 3 days and over 300 miles on Arizona back roads and it performed amazing.

tortron
03-29-2019, 04:53 PM
So cool

Dr.G
04-02-2019, 04:59 PM
We'll since I sold "truck" ( Honda Ridgeline ) after making the Montero my full time daily driver I had to figure what to do about my huge loss of storage space. Loved my Ridgeline for the storage and many others but that's behind me now. In search of a roof top mounting system suitable for my two favorite past times kayaking and camping. I looked at Yakima and Thule which turns out are very pricey for a couple pieces of plastic and aluminum ( $400-$600 ). Then I came across Smittybilt HDS-6 mounting brackets for a cool price of about $150 and that is for 6 brackets not just 2. So I paired those with 13 foot piece of 1x2 1/8 wall steel tubing cut into thirds ( $56 ), drilled and tapped mounting holes, attached it all with the included bolts and washers that came with brackets, and finished the tubing off with black wrinkle paint to match the brackets. Boom! Three roof rails made of solid steel for just about $220. Then I tossed a basket on top that I used with my Jeep. Happy Kayaker / Camper

Dr.G
07-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Back at it with some Montero Maintenance. I started getting a little rattle from the timing cover area and instead of trying to simply adjust the balancer chain I went full overkill and did the whole chain kit. Mostly because I really hate Blue silicone and whoever built the engine back in the 90's used it everywhere and I just won't stand for that. LOL.
22939 229402294122942
This went way easier than I expected. In the process I tossed on a new alternator, oil pan gasket, Distributor O-Ring, and valve cover gasket. So what better way to break-in an new chain!? I figure load it up with kayaks and go hit the river. Then follow that up with a 400 mile road trip.
and we found this poor guy.

geezer101
07-12-2019, 02:57 PM
The Monty looks right at home - well, yours does. As for the one sitting in that yard it looks like it could do with it's own resurrection. It appears to be complete and none of the glass has been broken. Good to see you didn't take any shortcuts when you had it all apart. :thumbup:

tortron
07-12-2019, 04:44 PM
Photos look right out of the marketing department of 80s mitsi :thumbup:

xboxrox
07-12-2019, 05:37 PM
gee Dr.G :thumbup:

So, mind telling us a little about that rifle..?

vagrant_mugen
07-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Man I do want a Montero....
My Monty snouted max will have to suffice for now. I would literally kill for a crew cab max, they sold them in mexico
& central/south america I believe, but I was rolling over the idea of cutting off the back of a 4dr montero & closing it
off into a cab & bed. A custom crew cab pickup Montero.....

Sorry, regardless your Monty is hella handsome there bru. Lookin good.

tortron
07-17-2019, 12:20 AM
We got them over here too. If you are real keen it wouldn't be "that" expensive to roll a Ute into a container and send to the USA (a few thousand nzd)

Dr.G
07-17-2019, 10:54 AM
gee Dr.G :thumbup:

So, mind telling us a little about that rifle..?

Ruger 10/22 Takedown with Magpull Backpacker stock a Nikon scope and a few other little bits. I like good cheap functional firearms that can go anywhere and fit under the back seat.

Dr.G
07-17-2019, 10:57 AM
The Monty looks right at home - well, yours does. As for the one sitting in that yard it looks like it could do with it's own resurrection. It appears to be complete and none of the glass has been broken. Good to see you didn't take any shortcuts when you had it all apart. :thumbup:

Back door glass was broken but the tint is holding it together. Looked pretty sun beaten and the seats are out of something else but if I get desperate for a part I know where it's at.

Dr.G
07-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Man I do want a Montero....
My Monty snouted max will have to suffice for now. I would literally kill for a crew cab max, they sold them in mexico
& central/south america I believe, but I was rolling over the idea of cutting off the back of a 4dr montero & closing it
off into a cab & bed. A custom crew cab pickup Montero.....

Sorry, regardless your Monty is hella handsome there bru. Lookin good.

I've seen a guy that did something like what you're talking about but it was turned into a flat bed truck. Very cool. I'm the opposite cause I'd like to find a super clean regular cab Might Max

xboxrox
07-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Ruger 10/22 Takedown with Magpull Backpacker stock a Nikon scope and a few other little bits. I like good cheap functional firearms that can go anywhere and fit under the back seat.

COOL Rifle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZjwyZ48A0 @ 6:00 min he starts shooting (Yours is tricked out nice Dr.G)

:captureflagblue::sniperdark:
There is a Chuck Norris movie you might like: "Invasion USA" No Montero but half way through the movie there is a brand new 1985 Nissan Pickup that steals the show...

Dr.G
07-18-2019, 02:45 PM
COOL Rifle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZjwyZ48A0 @ 6:00 min he starts shooting (Yours is tricked out nice Dr.G)

:captureflagblue::sniperdark:
There is a Chuck Norris movie you might like: "Invasion USA" No Montero but half way through the movie there is a brand new 1985 Nissan Pickup that steals the show...

Hickok45 is the man. I've watched many of his videos. This one is of my actual rifle before add-ons https://youtu.be/tVnxf73KKks . I did have the original 10/22 back when I was a little guy. Just like the one in the link you shared. Great little rifle.

vagrant_mugen
07-18-2019, 05:02 PM
I've seen a guy that did something like what you're talking about but it was turned into a flat bed truck. Very cool. I'm the opposite cause I'd like to find a super clean regular cab Might Max
U wana trade once I'm done restoring my max???
I'm driving to California come end of fall, I'll even deliver it right to ur door...

Dr.G
07-24-2019, 05:13 PM
U wana trade once I'm done restoring my max???
I'm driving to California come end of fall, I'll even deliver it right to ur door...

After just checking out your build I'm surprised you'd trade! But no I'll keep my Montero.

Dr.G
01-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Happy New Year! So far mine sucks... Days before Christmas my Montero developed a misfire and started consuming coolant. Yup it's a cracked cylinder head. Just got the time tonight to pull the head and its confirmed. Suggestions? I've found a new bare head on rockauto and I know a machine shop that might be able to fit ( still waiting on a text back ). Other than that I'll be looking here for help. I'm open to modifications like head without the weird little jet valves.

FMS88
01-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Definitely get a non-jet valve head. They’re not as likely to crack if over heated and no more expensive than the 3-valve head plus a jet valve delete kit.

Dr.G
01-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Definitely get a non-jet valve head. They’re not as likely to crack if over heated and no more expensive than the 3-valve head plus a jet valve delete kit.

Would you go with this? 24086 Will my hydraulic lifter work on with this head?

FMS88
01-09-2020, 09:50 PM
That head will work and the cost is reasonable although be sure to factor in shipping costs. Since it’s a bare head you will need to use the cam and valve train (rockers, lifters, rails, valves, etc.) from your old head, but don’t use the old cam towers. Use the new ones that come with the bare head. Also not a bad idea to get at least new exhaust valves. If you don’t have the tools to set up the new head, check with a machine shop. It’s a very straight forward procedure to move the valve train to the new head.
Another option is to get a new head that includes a cam and valve train. May cost 100-150 more, but that extra might be what you pay a machine shop to set up the bare head.
Whichever way you go, be sure to get a good quality head gasket and new head bolts. Do not use the old bolts. If you can afford the extra cost, get ARP head studs. They’re bullet proof and reusable.

Dr.G
01-10-2020, 05:43 AM
Awesome thanks for the input. I've already got a head gasket set and head bolts. I also have all the tools to setup the new head. Shipped and tax I'm looking at $282 which like you said isn't bad. I like your idea of new exhaust valves. May main concern was that all the non jet heads I found had manual lash adjusters and I wasn't sure if that would work with my hydraulic lifters.

FMS88
01-10-2020, 08:29 AM
The valve stem lengths differ for the two head types so that’s why the two rocker assemblies aren’t interchangeable. Also, if you’re contemplating reusing the intake valves, carefully inspect the seating surface, the stem and rocker head for wear. If you have any doubt, replace them too. Otherwise it looks like you’re set. Have fun.

Dr.G
01-10-2020, 01:55 PM
The valve stem lengths differ for the two head types so that’s why the two rocker assemblies aren’t interchangeable. Also, if you’re contemplating reusing the intake valves, carefully inspect the seating surface, the stem and rocker head for wear. If you have any doubt, replace them too. Otherwise it looks like you’re set. Have fun.

Complete set of valves ordered. Of course I was hoping to reuse them but the intakes have a significant amount of wear on the seating surface.

FMS88
01-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Yikes! That valve is incredibly worn. The main seating surface is so dished, I'm not sure there's enough there for a machine shop to re-cut the seating surfaces if you tried to go that route. The stem is showing its age, too. Replacement was definitely the smart move.

Salteen
01-10-2020, 07:19 PM
i would return that head, the previous owner to my 87 d50 put a non jet valve head on it and it runs like crap. they lowered the compression from 9.2 to 8.8 and that along with the removal of the third valve and that crappy carb will make it run horrible. I even stuck my 38 38 on the 87 (restoring engine out 82 to put in 87) and it did almost nothing.

the jet valve actually helped with performance while reducing emissions. that's why a 87 is so much faster than a 82, even with its increased weight. ;)

FMS88
01-10-2020, 10:51 PM
I switched to a non-jet valve head 10yrs and 30k miles ago and have no complaints. There's been no loss of performance or decrease in mileage and that's with the Mikuni carb. Compression improved from 165-175 to 180 all around. Emissions increased slightly, but they were still well below the legal limits.
There may be quality differences between heads of different manufacture (I recall those cast in India were crap), but as a rule, the switch shouldn't diminish performance. Take a look at Engine Machine Service, Inc. in Niles Ohio. They've been catering to the starion/conquest crowd for years and they sell only non-jet valve heads.

Dr.G
01-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Currently I'm committed to trying this ITM head. Likely going to slap it on Thursday. If I have time I'll measure the combustion chambers and compare volume to find out if compression ratio will change. I'll report my results.

FMS88
01-12-2020, 05:51 PM
ITM has been distributing engine parts for several decades, plus most reviews I could find were quite positive. It'll probably be fine, but it's still good to closely inspect it just to be sure. If you're satisfied with it, blow out all the passages and the tapped holes before you start installing the new parts and the parts from your old head. On my new, bare head, I found a lot of filings at the bottom of the cam tower bolt holes.
Have fun.

Dr.G
01-14-2020, 04:52 PM
Head and valves came in so I took some time between jobs to lap in the valves and assemble the head. I did do a non-scientific measuring of the combustion chamber and my conclusion is that the old head has slightly more volume. So maybe I'll get the slightest bump up in compression ratio. 2413224133

I'm shooting to have it back together by Friday.

xboxrox
01-16-2020, 12:01 AM
Beautiful :thumbup:

Salteen
01-16-2020, 07:05 AM
i love how straightforward these engines are. I personally prefer the 12V head with a 87 because of the new emissions stuff they had on it, but my 87 d50 2.6 only had a egr valve and a mini cat with a reverse flow muffler, the 82 2.6 had a ginormous cat in the header, egr valve, small resonator, big resonator, and a tractor muffler. the 82 had 1 3/4 pipe the 87 has 2" pipe (i am going 2 1/4" cat/egr/res delete and a cherry bomb vortex muffler)

Salteen
01-16-2020, 07:11 AM
there is no emissions laws or even vehicle inspections in the state of South Carolina, lol. its kind of a bad thing because we have a bunch of steryotypical 60 year old black ladies in pontiac sedans with a bouncy rear tire because the suspension is just crap.

xboxrox
01-16-2020, 10:38 AM
I wanna say LOL :lmao:Good Gossip :afro::willie::lmao1::drinkingdrunk::smokingweed:: smokingcrack::stickwhack:

geezer101
01-16-2020, 01:17 PM
What's with the valves on the new head? Are you replacing them all or did it come with mismatching valves? I'd be attacking that fresh head with a die grinder and radiusing all of the sharp edges in the chambers and having a look at the valve bowls and ports. Good luck with your first engine start, hope it cranks over without a fight :)

Salteen
01-16-2020, 06:36 PM
So I was looking into my truck today and i think i have a cracked block, and thats why its running like crap. so yeah, if i had the option i would go 8V, or i would do a DOHC swap and a 4V if thats possible? (Potential custom future mod?????)

Dr.G
01-24-2020, 04:07 PM
Well.... I'm reporting back a week later than estimated because I had an issue. I assembled the cylinder head I ordered and installed it last Thursday night. Everything went perfect. Fired up first try and ran so smooth. I did a little break in, got the lifters pumped up, and let all the new parts get acquainted to their new home. On my 15 mile drive home I made a stop 1/3 of the way to check fluids and give it once over before I got too far from the shop. Then at 3/4 of the way home I had a dead misfire. Pulled over cylinder 4 had nothing. Limped home, performed a cylinder leak down test ( 100% leakage through exhaust ), and pulled the head to find #4 exhaust valve ruined. My machinist buddy looked at it and said it's likely the clearance wasn't enough and the valve was seizing in the guide. I will be the first to admit I only checked clearance of a few valves and assumed the rest were good. I did buy the same brand valves to match the brand of the head for the application they were going in. I did measure stem width, length, and height to confirm they were within oem specs. So I'm going with the excuse shitty Rockauto parts...
After debating about it with a real Machinist I decided to warranty the head and exhaust valves through Rockauto instead of ordering new guides and a valve then rebuilding the head. Surprisingly Rockauto exchanged the head and all 4 exhaust without question and I got all the new parts Wednesday. Assembled the head again making sure to double check everything and since I had this issue and I have the head off again I ordered all new valve springs and lifters. Good news now is that everything is good. With about 40 miles on the 2nd new head the Montero runs great.
@geezer101 to answer your question Yes a few of the valves looked slightly different. Especially that one intake valve. I considered returning it but said F it and used it anyway. Luckily I didn't spend the time to clean up the ports because it would have been a waste and possibly a warranty issue. As far as the non-jet head vs the jet head. I feel like the engine runs smoother than before. Is it because of the jet valves or the fact it has a new head I don't know. Then power wise it feels the same. Overall I'm happy with it besides the obvious hick-up.

FMS88
01-24-2020, 05:04 PM
It's a shame you had to replace the head twice, but good that RA was decent about replacing the defective one. At least the final outcome is looking very good. Here's to many carefree miles ahead!:cheers:

geezer101
01-24-2020, 07:50 PM
Yeah having to pull a brand new head sucks. I have seen brand new heads that looked like GARBAGE and were not cheap to buy either. In hindsight it was wise not to modify the new head but a shop with a good rep would've put a few hours in on it before bolting it down. Glad to hear you are now experiencing some happy motoring after all of this :thumbup:

Dr.G
04-13-2020, 09:02 AM
Looking for a Torque Converter. Anyone have a good source?

Mine isn't dead but I'm planning on pulling it to reseal the front pump on the transmission and I'd like to install a new one ( or quality reman ). I had issues with the flywheel bolts when I installed the new flywheel and I don't want issues again.

Other than that the new cylinder head has been working good. No issues and racked up a couple thousand miles on it.

With all the extra time I've had on my hands I have taken the time to go through a few more things on the Montero. Front brakes and transmission leaks.

24801Shifter Shaft seal, Accumulator seals, Pan gasket, Filter, and fluid changed
2480224803Calipers cleaned and reseals, new brake hoses, rotors, pads, and brake fluid.