PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan

foesgth
11-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Do any of you fine folks know where to get a replacement fan for a diesel? RockAuto has 4 different replacement clutches but no fans. The gas and diesel motors use a different clutch. Any ideas? Mine is starting to crack.:bang:

dancinggecko
11-26-2018, 03:57 PM
You can pull a junkyard fan off of another engine. My dad has a 4D55-T swapped 1987 Ram 50, I think hes been running the fan/clutch off of a 2.6L engine for about 6 years at this point. I think the 2.4L and 2.0L fan/clutch setups use the same basic bolt pattern too

foesgth
11-26-2018, 04:13 PM
That is what is strange. The fans for the 2.0, 2.4 and 2.6 are easy to get. They show in everone's catalog as not being compatible. The water pump on the diesel has a 24mm pilot. The question would be is the gas engines have the same pilot size. If the pilot is the same they should interchange. It is about $50 to order a new clutch and fan for a 2.6.

foesgth
11-26-2018, 04:17 PM
I just checked and according to Hayden the clutch for the gas engines has a .63" pilot. That makes the gas pilot much smaller than the diesel. The fan bolt diameter is smaller also.

pennyman1
11-26-2018, 05:41 PM
Go electric and do away with the belt driven fan.

geezer101
11-26-2018, 10:01 PM
^ +1 on that. One of the most worthwhile mods you can do to these trucks.

skullzaflare
11-28-2018, 07:53 PM
If i remember right, i used a clutch from a 95 ranger with the 2.3, my 4d56 fan blade bolted right up.
if you need a new blade, you can find them on ebay for the 4d56 you just need to be sure you get the right diameter

longbedGTs
11-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Go electric and do away with the belt driven fan.

I'm about to convert my 86 Ranger Diesel to an electric fan. Hope it will free up some HP and maybe see a rise in MPGs. I'm guessing that the best place for the temp sensor is to T into one of the hoses going to the heater core? Is this ideal? If so, which one?

geezer101
11-30-2018, 11:42 AM
I'm about to convert my 86 Ranger Diesel to an electric fan. Hope it will free up some HP and maybe see a rise in MPGs. I'm guessing that the best place for the temp sensor is to T into one of the hoses going to the heater core? Is this ideal? If so, which one?

The best place would be either in the bottom tank of the radiator (the manufacturers standard location) or in a joiner in the bottom radiator hose. If you put it anywhere upstream the fan will try to run continuously - the engine will hardly reach operating temperature (beating on the fan and drawing current off the battery unnecessarily). By placing it where the coolant has passed through the radiator, the temp sensor will 'know' it's temperature had dropped to below operating temps and shut off. Get one of those hose adapter things off ebay. Cheap and they work.

BradMph
12-02-2018, 05:11 PM
I am pretty sure the Mazda B2000-B2600 are also a useful find in the wrecking yards for related truck parts for us. I know the window scrapes on the mazda trucks work even better then ours do.