PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Crank Pulley Opinions

Clouse
01-20-2018, 09:41 AM
I have a 4D56 swapped in my truck and I'm considering purchasing a lightweight crank pulley (https://www.ebay.com/itm/DD-Lightweight-Performance-Crank-Pulley-Fit-Misubishi-Triton-L200-4D56-Diesel/352083793294?hash=item51f9d4558e:g:YzEAAOSwlptZ7xS c&vxp=mtr)

Anybody have any opinions? I'm kind of interested in the lower rotating mass, but the main reason is to change my belt style to a multi groove rather than dual V-belts (I need a groove belt for a separate project).

Are there any disadvantages to a lighter crank pulley?

I also don't know how I'm supposed to torque it on there without holes for a crank pulley holder.... hmmmm....

geezer101
01-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Any rotating mass that relates to the belt drive system requires energy to to make it turn. The heavier the mass, the more parasitic loss of energy. Less mass = increased throttle response. I would also rig up an electric thermo fan. The mechanically driven thing is heavy and swallows up a fair bit of energy. Whatever you can do to shed weight from the drive system is a good thing.

pennyman1
01-20-2018, 03:38 PM
be sure it comes with a sleeve for the crank pulley. These pulleys usually are made of aluminum, and the seal will wear a groove in the pulley quickly and cause a leak without the sleeve.

Clouse
01-22-2018, 09:33 AM
be sure it comes with a sleeve for the crank pulley. These pulleys usually are made of aluminum, and the seal will wear a groove in the pulley quickly and cause a leak without the sleeve.

I think I'm a little confused. Are you referring to a need for a steel sleeve on the inside diameter of the pulley? What exactly wears?
I have this exploded image of the 4d56 pulleys and I'm not sure where the crank pulley contacts any seals. Then again I haven't had my crank pulley off in a while and can barely remember how the crankshaft, timing belt, and balance belt pulleys stack on the crank shaft.

Clouse
01-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Image didn't post for some reason... Attempt #2

geezer101
01-22-2018, 12:36 PM
It "shouldn't" seal on the pulley but then I might be wrong. If it does need a sleeve, it will be on the outside of the base of the pulley where it passes through the seal. It's the only place where the pulley would be in contact with a seal.

Clouse
01-22-2018, 12:50 PM
It "shouldn't" seal on the pulley but then I might be wrong. If it does need a sleeve, it will be on the outside of the base of the pulley where it passes through the seal. It's the only place where the pulley would be in contact with the a seal.

I see. So you're talking about this surface wearing out. Interesting. I might still purchase the pulley and see how it performs as I need the upgraded multi-groove pulley. Unfortunately I don't expect any kind of warranty or return possibility as it's coming from Malaysia...

https://i.imgur.com/T0Vu1uA.jpg

pennyman1
01-22-2018, 05:19 PM
that is where I am talking about the wear issue.

Clouse
01-22-2018, 06:29 PM
​I just noticed they do claim that the pulley has a hardened "over-coating"... for whatever that's worth :rolleyes: I still think I'll order one and give it a try. The price isn't too bad, and worst case scenario I'll put the stock one back on.

Features :
- DD Harden Lightening Crankshaft Pulley is different from other Aluminium crank pulley.
- 7071 T7 Aluminium and over-coating a hardened layer is used.
- This hardened effect will protect the pulley and become wear-resisting.
- The latest technology is to colour the hardened effect.
- NEW Diamond coat will last longer

pennyman1
01-22-2018, 06:43 PM
that may resolve the wear issue - if not Timken sells repair sleeves you can slide over the crank pulley stub.

JeffTheMarine
01-22-2018, 09:36 PM
I hope it's not the case but looking at that pulley on eBay it appears it is for the DiD. Are the crank pulley's the same between these engines? If so I look forward to seeing how it works as I may get one for my engine.

Jeff

Clouse
01-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Thanks pennyman1 and geezer101 for the info. Good to know about the Timken sleeves. I was able to find my old pulley that was removed from my 4D55 and it doesn't appear to me that there are any surfaces that are contacting a seal, so I should be good.

JeffTheMarine - The listing says it's for a "2.5L 4D56 Turbo Diesel L4; 2005 - 2014 Mitsubishi Triton L200 ML / MN Series", so I'm crossing my fingers that there weren't any major design changes (besides belt style) with the crank pulley between my 1988 4D56 and a 2005-2014 4D56...

I'll update this thread once it arrives.

JeffTheMarine
03-24-2018, 08:36 PM
I was curious about this. Any updates? Were you able to get it installed?

Jeff

Thanks pennyman1 and geezer101 for the info. Good to know about the Timken sleeves. I was able to find my old pulley that was removed from my 4D55 and it doesn't appear to me that there are any surfaces that are contacting a seal, so I should be good.

JeffTheMarine - The listing says it's for a "2.5L 4D56 Turbo Diesel L4; 2005 - 2014 Mitsubishi Triton L200 ML / MN Series", so I'm crossing my fingers that there weren't any major design changes (besides belt style) with the crank pulley between my 1988 4D56 and a 2005-2014 4D56...

I'll update this thread once it arrives.