PDA

View Full Version : quick weber question!

804ram
10-23-2011, 07:45 AM
do i need the electrical connector from the minuki carb that connects to the electric choke??

abeemanator
10-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Are you putting a Weber on your truck? If so, you don't need any of the wires for the minuki carb. I took the entire wiring harness apart, and pulled all of the wires that run from the computer to the carb and vacuum control out, the only wires that should be on the left side are the alternator wires and windshield washer wires. And there should only be 3 vacuum lines, 2 for Distributor advance and one for the Weber's power valve.

For the choke, it needs to be connected to a positive that is only live when your ignition is on "on", I hooked it mine up (and my Electric fuel pump, which you will need with a Weber) to my heater fuse, or I think you can wire it to the positive side of the coil. All the choke does is when it receives voltage, the metal inside will get warm, and expand, which turns your choke butterflys, and moves the high idle cam, it should take about 8 minutes when it is cold out for it to go from full choke to full off, then the metal stays warm, but when it no longer receives power (ignition off) the metal will cool and retract, and close the choke to about half on, then when you start it again, you pump the gas and it puts the choke back to full on with the high idle on. I don't know why they made it that way, but the choke will not move from half on until you pump the gas at least once. you can experiment with it it you loosen the three screws that hold the choke actuator in place, mark where the choke actuator is, and then when you rotate it, it will close the choke, then rotate it the other way and it will open it to full, then rotate it again and it will go to half on, then move the throttle linkage and the choke will close again.

I didn't know if you wanted a long drawn out description of how the choke works, but somebody else who looks at this post may want to know.

804ram
10-23-2011, 01:12 PM
thank you so much! that is all the information i needed just about!.... but how do you hook something up to a fuse?

camoit
10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
They make a Piggy back solder-less connector. You need to find a switched power wire somthing like the radio power or blower power and use it. It is a plastic connector that goes over the wire you want to use and has a knife style blade in it that makes the connection so you can tap off the power from that wire. It's a square cube with a slit down 1 side. One side has a hole in each end the other side has 1 hole for the tap wire.

pennyman1
10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Do not wire anything to either side of the ignition coil - did that and the draw of the pump caused the motor to cut out on a hard pull from drawing too much current. I hooked my choke on my weber to the power wire that went to a connection near the motor that was switched +12v - I will look and see where it is and give you wire color.

804ram
11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
pennyman any luck on finding that wire?

pennyman1
11-06-2011, 04:42 PM
been out of town - will have it for you tomorrow