PDA

View Full Version : LED cabin and cargo lamps

Jeff V.
11-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Since I bought my truck, the cabin lamp hasn't worked, and the cargo lamp was smashed to pieces. Now that I've decided to park my car for a while, I had to do something about the lights in the truck.

I bought a replacement cargo lamp, mainly to have something to close up the holes. Now that I've got it working, I'm glad I didn't just weld it shut.

A trip to Advance Auto and $16 later, I had a couple of these:

From there, it was just a matter of popping out the old, dead bulbs and swapping these in. The difference was pretty drastic. The pics from my phone aren't great, but I can tell you it's well worth it.

geezer101
11-17-2016, 10:07 PM
A simple but worthwhile upgrade. The crappy one candlepower cabin lights are next to useless. Have you upgraded the instrument panel backlights as well? I bought a bag of 10 off ebay for next to nothing and they look trick (I need to add another...something-or-rather so they are dimmable without burning them out)

Jeff V.
11-18-2016, 06:46 AM
I haven't done any of the other lights. It just looks really bright because of the HDR setting on my phone.

I've got the original non-tach cluster that came with the truck. I might try doing some kind of front lighting using UV (black) LEDs. But if that fails, I'll swap it for LEDs.

Chargerx3
11-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Good idea jeff. I hadn't thought of upgrading those. Your outside light looks really bright. Wonder if your roll bar lines right up with it like mine. Kind of gets in the way.