PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 gas to 2.3 diesel conversion question

Dweezil8675
10-17-2016, 12:51 PM
I am thinking about switching my '83 MM to an '84 MM turbo diesel. Has anyone done this before? What all do I need to grab? I planned on taking the whole drivetrain, engine, tranny transfer, and rear axle and driveshafts. What else do I need to get to make the swap go as smoothly as possible? Thanks in advance!

skullzaflare
10-17-2016, 06:35 PM
i literally just swapped a 2wd 2.0 to a 2.5l diesel lol.
In my case, my 89 2.0 was a wideblock so everything bolted right up. I dont think the 83 is, so you probably would need engine/trans/case. I imagine the shafts are the same

Uncle Spence
10-18-2016, 08:54 AM
To answer your question, I don't know of a build with those specific years.
In my case I have found that the transmission cross member is the same and therefore so is the driveline. I also couldn't find any evidence in any manual or forum that there is any difference in rear ends. However, mine are both only 2 wheel drive so that is partly why I don't think there's a difference. There was only one rear end option.
The only things I've swapped are some of the wiring harness (fuel cutoff switch, tachometer, temperature gauge, glow plug wiring and switch), the fuel filter, and in my opinion the worst switch has been the clutch pedal and the little master cylinder that goes with it for the hydraulic clutch on the diesel. It was just a pain to cut out of the diesel truck. The clutch cable for the 2.0 motor was also in the way on the firewall so I had to cut it out as well. Had I had a plasma cutter there would me fewer bad words about those parts.
I am currently taking my 84 diesel and swapping it into a 86 2.0.
Here's my build thread: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5529-Wallace-II-Gas-to-Diesel-Swap
I anticipate completing the build by mid December, so keep up on it.
Good luck on your end!