PDA

View Full Version : 4D56 Head & Injector question

74Dusted
09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
On a recommendation from another member here (4D55 Performance), I found a replacement head for my D50 through Heads_r_us on evilbay ( :P ), but it mentions checking the injector thread size for dodge d50's. Haven't bought the head yet though.

What size are the injectors on the 4D55 Head anyway? Don't know what year, The engine came from an '85, but the parts were all mixed & matched on the engine when i got it.

So how do i go about confirming my injectors will fit before i send them off to be rebuilt/before i buy the new head?

mikewarme
09-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Ok easy! 83 injectors are the only ones that won't fit the new heads. If there is like 1/4 to 3/8 gap between your head and your injector than your ok. If your injectors are snug like almost no room between body and head than No they won't work. 83 injectors are big. If you posted a pic i could confirm for you

74Dusted
09-15-2011, 04:50 AM
I'll get some pictures later today, the Injectors are in a box (ready to be shipped off to be rebuilt) and the old head is on a shelf at the other end of the garage. I seem to recall there being about 3/8" of space around the injector body though. Plenty of space even for my thick walled deepwell socket to fit over it without rubbing the head.

mikewarme
09-19-2011, 07:10 AM
than no need for pics! your injectors are the correct ones to fit the head. You shouldnt pay more than $45 an injector for rebuild........

74Dusted
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Heads R Us also confirmed that mine will fit, Mine "mic" out to 19.82mm thread diameter.

Penn Diesel quoted me $40 a piece for the injector rebuild (everything included, even the price of the nozzles). As soon as i finish up some other more urgent things, i'll be buying the head and continuing my rebuild. At the moment my Plow Truck needs Brakes, a Hydraulic Pump and an Engine (and with winter breathing down my neck it's high on my list, lol) So once that stuff is out of the way i'll be working on my diesel again.