PDA

View Full Version : air tank

1slowdude
09-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Got an industrial size oil drum I wanna turn into my air tank. Possible? I'm sure it hold the pressure right?

Fordubishi
09-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Nope a oil drum is not a pressure vessel, 50-60psi and you will possibly explode it as the top and bottom are pinched together not welded. You need something that will take 1.5 time as much pressure as what the tank will hold at normal operating pressure (ie. 100psi operating= 150lbs tested pressure).

if you want something a little different maybe go to your local brewery and see if they have any kegs they are getting rid of. take it to a welding shop that does pressure vessels and have them weld a fitting to the top for the air lines. they can test it as well.

DroppedMitsu
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Nope a oil drum is not a pressure vessel, 50-60psi and you will possibly explode it as the top and bottom are pinched together not welded. You need something that will take 1.5 time as much pressure as what the tank will hold at normal operating pressure (ie. 100psi operating= 150lbs tested pressure).

I concur.

camoit
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
For Gods sake NO!!!!! Don't test Darwin's thiery.... Go to a local diesel truck wrecker and buy a tank for $25.00 with the clamps. You can even get a one-way check valve for between the compressor and the tank. If you want the cool look, then use a scuba tank. You could find a used one that is not for diving by calling a dive shop or ebay.
Here is a pair for 75 local to me. I could pick them up for you and shio to you.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/2596901665.html

74Dusted
09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Or pick yourself up a Oxygen or Acetylene tank at a local Welding Supply company/shop if you want a Tall/Skinny tank for portable (and armored) use. They're rated for several thousand pounds of pressure. The only downside is they lack a drain on the bottom, and trust me you want to drain the water out of the tank regularly. Although, to be honest, you could always flip the tank upside down and drain the water out through the valve on the top and then refill it with air again.

pennyman1
09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I bought a new air tank at carlisle for a semi for 35.00 - it has multiple fittings, and a port for a drain, and it is code stamped for the pressure rating. Everyone here is right about the oil drum - code stamped pressure equipment is the only way to go - and the couple of bucks extra prevents explosions that can leave you dead, or even worse. that 150 psi air tank can flip or destroy a vehicle if its of a good size - the pressure packs a lot of energy.

Rickdees
09-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Holy smokes, I've built Hydraulic reservoir tanks for ships out of 1/4" plate, we tested them @ max 4lbs.
One time a Russian guy had put 10lbs in for the leak test, in a blink of a eye, that’s when all hell broke loose which took all 4 sides and pushed them out about 3 to 4 inches. Shit yes very dangerous.

camoit
09-17-2011, 11:44 AM
It would be fun to make an adapter for a bung plug. Then take the drum to the woods and use a really, really long hose and just pump it up tell she pops.

LethalEthan
09-17-2011, 01:48 PM
that would be fun *****! shrapnel everywhere though. Better get a long hose hahahaha

pennyman1
09-18-2011, 07:14 PM
na just fill wth propane and a long fuse or use an ignitor for a model rocket

abeemanator
09-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Or a welding mix of oxy acetelene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95HdusJCvM&feature=related

You know its a good Idea when they do it on TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPU2zE0Lkwo&feature=related

Rickdees
09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
I've done the cannon couple times, once to show my kid russian trainee. Yeah, I was a mentor because it paid a buck more an hour.
Victor said, Rrrricky that won't work......(it don't take much gas) The kid about dropped dead....every head in the shop turned toward us. With his beat red face everyone knew who it was. Even i was shocked how dam loud it was.
Seriously, be easy on the oxy/acet. Best results, light the torch first to crisp flame and snuff it out on piece of wood and then fill your pipe...perfect mixture.

pennyman1
09-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Guys I taught in a slot machine repair class told me how they used to fill garbage bags with Hydrogen and sent it up with a burning wick of paper. They worked at a steel mill in a valley below an airport; the wick wouls egnite the Hydrogen when it would be level with the airport tower. More than once the towercalled the plant and threatened to send the state police and the FAA after them. Had another group from a different plant along a river decided to see if they could shoot full size gas bottles across the Mon river in Clairton. They built a stand to position the bottle for trajectory and for proper valve placement to whack it off with a hammer. Several made it across, but most ended up in the river. 2 months later accounting wanted to know why they were being charged for the bottle rentals on 200 bottles; when the stand and broken valves were found, they dredged the river to recover the bottles.

camoit
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Red Devil lye drain opener. mix with water add aluminum foil to make hydrogen and oxygen. Glass bottle and a rubber balloon over the top. Just let it fill by it's self. Sounds like an m-1000.