PDA

View Full Version : 5D55 Compression failure after new 4D56 head and new headgasket installed.

ClimbHigh
09-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Hi all first time posting on the forum. So I have a 1983 mighty max turbo diesel, and recently the head gasket went out. I pulled it all apart to find a pretty badly cracked head. After some research i ordered a new 4d56 head complete with cams and valves. Also put in new injectors, thermostat, water pump, fuel pump and had the radiator pressure tested and flushed. I have it now back up and running, but it is running quite rough. I figured i had made a mistake with the timing or something since this is the first head gasket or timing belt i have done. I had the truck towed down to my mechanic who knows these trucks quite well. He said that the timing is set right but it failed on the compression test. Cylinder 1 and 4 are about 30 psi low and cylinder 2 and 3 are 120 psi low. So far we have not been able to come up with a cause other than bad piston rings, which i am really hoping it isnt. I contacted the guy from whom i got the head to make sure there couldn't be a problem with the combustion chamber size in the new head or anything else with the new head. Only things he could think of was at it being a timing issue or piston rings. My mechanic is going to check the timing further tomorrow but is pretty certain it is correct. It seems odd to me that the cylinders 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 are equally losing compression if it is the rings, but that could still very well be the case. If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing i would greatly appreciate the input, thanks for reading!

GB SISSON
09-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Hi, I am brand new to this particular engine but have quite a bit of experience with engines in general. Often when two adjoining cylinders are bad it is a problem in the sealing (or gasket) between the two. I feel your pain.....

skullzaflare
09-19-2016, 11:57 AM
Find out if he tested 2/3 with all glow plugs out.
Sounds like either gasket between 2/3 or you need to adjust the valve lash