PDA

View Full Version : run on after shut off problem

jamesw
08-09-2016, 03:17 AM
1988 dodge ram50 sport 2.6l with a Weber 32/36 DGEV Electric Choke :
Quick Fuel Carburetor 1-4 PSI ADJUSTABLE LOW Fuel Pressure Regulator
temp here is running in the high 90's with high humidity
i have adjusted this thing so many times it isn't funny and still it wants to run on from time to time
it don't do this all the time just when it seems to be very hot:
now i haven't adjusted the fuel pressure reg sense i got it so it is set @ factory:
what i,m wanting to know do you think that maybe the pressure is set too high?
should i turn it down a few turns?
what is a good set to run?
thinking about getting a gauge to put in line.
what pressure should the carb run with this engine?
the engine doesn't smoke burn oil
another point of fact here is sometimes if i don't run it for a day or too
it's hard to start almost like there is no fuel in the carb.
most times i can turn the key and it will fire up.
any advise will help thanks

camoit
08-09-2016, 05:31 PM
3 PSI. And engine run on is caused from the throttle plates being open to far. You need to preform a lean drop on the carb.
There is a thread in the old board. http://www.mightyram50.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1264&p=8692&hilit=lean+drop#p8692

BradMph
08-09-2016, 07:35 PM
When you have trouble starting, does the cranking move slowly or is it a rapid rotating as it cranks over. I sometimes will have a problem on a warm day if I get into truck after a bit of sitting and by a force of habit, hold the gas pedal down while cranking. I found that just turning the key, the motor is much faster to start.
Follow Camoit's suggestions because that is the rules on these weber carbs. A gauge would be a good thing to use. I use one of them mini plastic ones and it has ben working real well.

jamesw
08-10-2016, 02:46 AM
thanks for the info camoit and the link

jamesw
08-10-2016, 02:50 AM
if i run it today and go out say two days from now it,s like i almost have to prime it, normally i bump the key fires right up i think maybe gas is bleeding back. i did adjust the fuel reg down a little bit the other day and it seems to have helped. i think i will get a inline gauge can't hurt anything.
thanks for the feed back bradmph

85Ram50
08-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I had a dieseling issue. G63B weber carb. I added a fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt the carb and redid the timing that seems to have fixed it. I leave it sit for more than 7 day pretty regular and it doesn't like to start.
I spray some starter fluid in the carb (belt dressing will work) and once it kicks over it draws gas from the tank and refills the bowl & runs. Usually it starts right up one press of the gas peddle to the floor and turn the key. I haven't decided to do more yet since I don't drive it a lot. I keep it around to haul stuff and as a project.

jamesw
08-11-2016, 10:22 AM
I don't drive it a lot. I keep it around to haul stuff and as a project.
like you i really don't drive it alot i need to run it more i guess thanks for the ideals

pennyman1
08-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Geronimo does the same thing - he has an open vent to the carb bowl, so the fuel evaporates. The DGEV on him now was made in the 80's when the bowls had no vapor recovery on them. The 38 DGES I am putting on does have vapor recovery, so I will see if that solves the issue.

jamesw
08-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Geronimo does the same thing - he has an open vent to the carb bowl, so the fuel evaporates. The DGEV on him now was made in the 80's when the bowls had no vapor recovery on them. The 38 DGES I am putting on does have vapor recovery, so I will see if that solves the issue.
sounds like an ideal