PDA

View Full Version : Balance shaft(s)?

SuperSloth
07-17-2016, 08:53 PM
I have a probably pretty stupid question, but I am replacing the bearing on the balance shaft on my 4d55t engine and all of the balance shaft posts I see seem to refer to them in plural. But I only have one shaft and one boss in the block. I had further confusion when the bearings showed up with two of the larger bearings and one of the small bearings for the oil pump side. So are there two shafts somehow? Or do the longer style balance shafts have two bearings? What am I missing here haha or should I just install one large bearing and the small bearing and button it up. Thanks for putting up with my noob question guys!

skullzaflare
07-21-2016, 04:18 AM
I have not had the diesel apart yet but I think the 2nd shaft is on passenger side of engine, behind oil pump

Uncle Spence
07-21-2016, 12:51 PM
You're in luck SuperSlothMan! I have some pictures of where those illusive balance shafts are placed. Skullzaflare is correct on the second shaft. It's behind the oil pump. I circled their homes in yellow in the pictures. Good luck!

SuperSloth
08-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Hey thank you thank you to skullz and uncle spence, got it figured out! I haven't been on in awhile but I meant to reply and thank you guys.

So being that i got my engine in pieces there is a lot of junk missing which is spectacular, but specifically does anyone have a PDF of an illustrated parts catalogue or something? I ended up just getting an assembled head ordered, but the seller had a disorganized mess of fasteners so specifically those that secure the oil pump and injector pump assemblies, but likely more as well are awol, or at least not 100% accounted for. I tried forum searching for parts catalogues to no avail. I can only find engine manual PDFs which dont have specific part numbers.