PDA

View Full Version : coolant dripping of catalytic converter?

804ram
09-09-2011, 07:58 AM
i have a 88 4x4 power ram 2.6 ...

just got it a few weeks ago and have started to slowly replace little things here and there. but i have noticed my coolant levels dropping and today i realized there is coolant dripping of my cat? any ideas? thanks in advance!

74Dusted
09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Either you've got a freeze plug leaking onto the exhaust (rusted/corroded through), or the head gasket is blown and it's pushing coolant into the cylinders. Remove your Radiator Cap, does it smell like gasoline inside the radiator? Next one would be to start the engine and watch for bubbles in the radiator. IF you can find someone with a Coolant System Pressure Tester, it would let you know if the system is maintaining pressure (and help pinpoint a leak if it's a freeze plug, radiator, etc). It can also be used to tell you if the system is over pressurizing.

804ram
09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
thanks a lot! is the freeze plug easy to locate?
and yes i can smell gasoline when i put my nose near the radiator with the cap off.

74Dusted
09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
If you smell gas in the radiator, it's a blown head gasket, possibly more (worst case scenario is a cracked or badly warped head)

camoit
09-22-2011, 07:58 PM
What was the out come of this????

804ram
09-25-2011, 10:57 AM
it has been really rainy in va lately and the days it doesnt rain i have work haha...so still havent got in there to find out..i am ordering a webber carb sometime this week because i didnt want to deal with all the vacuum lines so hopefully within the next week or two ill get to it

804ram
10-04-2011, 04:39 AM
So got the head off ... Head gasket wa blown badly and there was two cracks in the head! Not fun haha going to the junkyard this week!!