PDA

View Full Version : ticking valves

DroppedMitsu
04-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Anyone have anything I can try to get these damn obnoxious hydraulic valve lifters to stop ticking? I have already bought 8 new ones from parts store and bled them and put them in. It was quiet for a little while and now the ticking is back. Changed oil and all that and nothing, tried lucas oil stabilizer with oil change and nothing. After next oil change they were still ticking so I decided to try addingsome sea foam to the oil and the ticking stopped for a while ten came back, tried sea foam again and it didn't help. Don't know what else to try to get these things to be quiet.

l.k.
04-04-2011, 04:40 PM
i dont know much about these engines..but i do know that some have a tensioner type thing in them and it can cause them to tick/tap a little if its bad or something...
^^^
its b/c the loss of pressure somewhere...

maybe they need adjustment?
dont really know what it is..im not a motor guy unless its a honda or acura!!>>:confused:
might be completely wrong to ....

just throwing things out there...bumping the thread up for ya.
good luck

camoit
04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Are they located under the cam or is there an arm working them? If they are under the cam I don't think there is an adjustment for them, but IDK.

4doorciv
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
The hydraulic lifters are making noise? Someone on her might have the info on switching them out with manual lifters. With the dsm drivetrain, we swap them out to the 3G lifters or 3rd revision lifters. The opening on top of the lifter is larger for more oil to pass through and eliminates it. I am not sure if the revised lifters for the dsm 4g63 is compatible so might have to find the info on the solid lifters from older trucks.

DroppedMitsu
04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
This is for a 2.6(g54b) btw. They are in the rocker arm, instead of having a screw and being adjustable thy have a hydrualic adjuster that does it by itself.

wrngwae
04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.b2600turbo.com/stock_camshaft_id.htm

this should do the trick for ya.

DroppedMitsu
04-05-2011, 04:35 PM
I have already bought all new adjusters and bled them before I posted this. It is still doing it

camoit
04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
So thats how they did it.. I would check the oil pressure at the shaft to see if it is high enough.

pennyman1
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Be sure the intake and exhaust manifolds are tight and sealing - an exhaust leak will sound just like a ticking valve.

DroppedMitsu
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes have already made sure no exhaust or intake leaks, it is definitely the lifters as I have got them to quiet down before but it came back. Am gonna bleed them again tomorrow.

l.k.
04-05-2011, 08:27 PM
my dad says it could be that pressure is not holding and causing it to do that...his toyota does it..its all hyraulic tensioning or whatever...he hasnt fixed it yet.

hes gonna be getting to it soon..i sold my motor just to have a reason to throw a sbc in my max:D

DroppedMitsu
04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok when I bled them originally I used regular motor oil. The link wrngwae posted says DIESELD FUEL/FLUID and my factory service manual says Diesel Oil. Which one should I use to re-bleed these? Thanks for all the help guys hoping this will sort it out

l.k.
04-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Ok when I bled them originally I used regular motor oil. The link wrngwae posted says DIESELD FUEL/FLUID and my factory service manual says Diesel Oil. Which one should I use to re-bleed these? Thanks for all the help guys hoping this will sort it out

never new to use that/those...either way...
then again i never worked on one of these..and def. never read the manual...

hope it works out..

wrngwae
04-07-2011, 04:19 AM
the most important thing is to get all the junk out of the lifters....that is where all the trash sits.....and make sure your oil feeds thru the head are clear too. from the caps to the rocker arms and every where else...

l.k.
04-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Glad to see all this little info coming out...hope this ticking goes away for you man...

keep posting guys im learning a little with each one...

pennyman1
04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Another option I use is to add Rislone to the engine oil - its a super detergent additive for oil that has been around since the 50's for these kind of problems. Had several AMC 6 bangers that are notorious for valvetrain noise that quieted right down with the stuff. Others on here tried it and got more power to boot.

Ram50Man
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Any luck with those lifters? I have the same issue on mine, i can get them too quiet down for a little using Lucas Oil Stabilizer, but other than... no luck.... I even replaced the whole head and put new lifters, valves, seals, had it all machined, everything in there, and it still does it! Only when its idleing though. if i rev it or during normal operation it either gets quiet or just gets droaned out by the exhaust!... lol

DroppedMitsu
04-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Nope, no luck. Mine gets louder as the rpms go up, its pretty damn annoying. Its kinda seemed as if my rocker arms on the 4th cylinder were a little wore out were the adjusters go. Might see if I can get some at the junkyard sometime and see if that will fix it. Other than that I don't know.

4doorciv
04-15-2011, 01:22 AM
I've researched a bit on this. I didn't really like what I found but I can post it anyway. A few people added a bit of trans fluid to their oil as a cleaner. I would do this to my own car, just wondering if anyone else heard of this.

l.k.
04-15-2011, 04:58 AM
yeah 4doorciv...i have done that many times....i can remember my grandpa doing that back in the day..i guess it has gotten passed down...

works also..

well good luck man on this...the way these engines are they are just hassle and thats why i sold my low mileage swap a long time ago..

Ram50Man
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
you know i think i remember my Dad telling me about that a long time ago, and he is a mechanic, with his own shop. I never did try it though. I use additives in my oil, so i was afraid if i start mixing all that crap in the oil, they would have a bad reaction with one another or some crap.

pennyman1
04-15-2011, 07:08 PM
If you go on ebay there are new rockers for cheap there - do you really want to spend the time to drive to the yard, tear down a motor if you can find one, then go home take apart and install the parts, then find out the parts you got are as bad or worse than what you had? Get new parts and do the job right.

Ram50Man
04-17-2011, 08:58 AM
If you go on ebay there are new rockers for cheap there - do you really want to spend the time to drive to the yard, tear down a motor if you can find one, then go home take apart and install the parts, then find out the parts you got are as bad or worse than what you had? Get new parts and do the job right.

Thats a good point there! I ran into this situation when I was rebuilding my engine.... ended up costing me twice the time and money, to replace the used parts i bought with new parts.... needless to say the Household Boss Lady wasnt too pleased!

DroppedMitsu
04-17-2011, 11:43 AM

Do I really want to spend money on new parts for this motor when its just gonna get swapped out for my 4g63t soon? I already added some cleaners to my oil, didn't work. Its not really that big of a deal as I don't plan on keeping this motor just really annoyed at everyone staring at me wih my annoying ass sounding truck lol.

LethalEthan
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I thought you had the 4g63t in already?

4doorciv
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Haha. Give em a weird look back. Tell em stop looking at your diesel truck that runs on gas. Don't worry too much about it. I seen and heard the volkswagen guys idle. Most of em sound like the tdi model. Even when they have the 1.8 turbo model. Thoughs are loud.

DroppedMitsu
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I thought you had the 4g63t in already?
I did in my old single cab, the ticking is on my new macrocab with a 2.6. The 4g63 is back i'm my garage and my old truck is getting ready to go to.pick n pull.

dmr8x2
04-18-2011, 08:45 PM
i hate the Tapets (lifters) in the Mits engines
so i replaced mine with adjustable rocker arms
2.6l i got them out of a Ram Van
2.4l i pulled them out of an 2.0l
and i save oil pressure

DroppedMitsu
04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks I am gonna see if I find any at pick n pull tomorrow.

Ram50Man
04-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Have you replaced the valve seals, and valve guides or just the lifters? I would look into new valves, seals, and guides. They are fairly cheap. The exhaust valves you might have a little difficulty finding. I think i ended up having to order mine online, cause Orielly's didnt carry them anymore.

Payrion
04-22-2011, 06:16 AM
i wouldnt worry about re bleeding them with something different.....some people dont even bleed them......they will "pump up" on their own if you let it run long enough.....check oil pressure, make sure the pressure is correct.....i dont know what it sould be....cam might be worn some...how many miles on engine.....i dont think ive seen many mitsu trucks that didnt tick at idle...lol..Actually running a detergent thru the engine might be in the right direction...oil passages might be restricted some and not forcing correct amount of oil to the lash adjusters.....

DroppedMitsu
04-22-2011, 11:22 AM
The only thing ive bought were hydrualic lash adjusters. The ticking isn't really bad at idle, its when im driving. I've already ran some cleaners/detergents through it, it helped them stay quiet for a few days then it came back. I don't want to buy any new parts per the reason I stated a few posts ago. Im just going to not worry about it, I've already bled them a bunch of times, cleaned the rocker arms and their oil passages, etc so im just saying screw it. Goin to throw some new oil (a little thicker viscosity) and filter and and be done with it.