PDA

View Full Version : New Steering Wheel

hutch
04-04-2016, 12:43 PM
The imitation suede one just had no grip.
So, I had this Grant and sent it to get it recovered.

geezer101
04-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Nice work. Is it leather or vinyl and how much did they charge you? I used to restitch wheels before by hand. It was getting hard finding anyone to supply leather scraps, haven't done one in years...

hutch
04-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Nice work. Is it leather or vinyl and how much did they charge you? I used to restitch wheels before by hand. It was getting hard finding anyone to supply leather scraps, haven't done one in years...

$400 or so. It is all leather and I also wanted it a little thicker.

maxdsm
04-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Steering wheel looks good hutch . Are you going to use an adapter with it?

hutch
04-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Steering wheel looks good hutch . Are you going to use an adapter with it?

Yes, the adapter is already on the truck.

541d50
04-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Which adapter did you use? Getting ready to put a Grant on my truck. I have a 1st gen, another thread said kit #3390.

hutch
04-05-2016, 04:52 AM
Which adapter did you use? Getting ready to put a Grant on my truck. I have a 1st gen, another thread said kit #3390.

I need to keep of track of things. I don't remember. Grant didn't have one. I just happened to stumble across one one Ebay.
I also have a 1st. gen.

pennyman1
04-05-2016, 07:09 AM
3390 is the adaptor, you also need a hub that spaces the wheel away from the column for clearance for the turn signal stalk / wiper stalk on later trucks. I have that model wheel with the hub on Geronimo, and he is an 1980 - been on him since 1983. Wore out 2 copper horn rings on the adaptor - made new ones using a hole saw and a blank copper circuit board. Use spark plug boot silicone grease on the copper horn ring to prevent the copper from wearing from the contact rubbing when driving.

pennyman1
04-05-2016, 07:37 AM
Here is what you need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Cast-Style-GRANT-Brand-SIGNATURE-SERIES-5-bolt-3-Hole-Steering-Hub-Kit-/121944477646?hash=item1c64750fce:g:zEUAAOSwRLZT1as E&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Spacer-for-5-Hole-Steering-Wheel-fits-Grant-APC-ForeverSharp-3-Hole-Hub-/251019316735?hash=item3a71eacdff:g:36AAAOSwd4tTxVu V&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-Hole-Steering-Wheel-Spacer-Hub-to-3-Hole-Adapter-Grant-APC-Pilot-Black-/252332761559?hash=item3ac03461d7:g:NOEAAOSw~gRVumE F&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Spacer-Hub-Steering-Wheel-Extension-Grant-APC-JDM-Billet-Yellow-/400621826885?hash=item5d46ebf345:g:CZsAAOSwKtVWvmW P&vxp=mtr
The last one is yellow.

BradMph
04-05-2016, 11:07 PM
Hey hutch nice wheel, but a little pricey?. I ordered the red suede leather one from Jegs that looked very similar to that and there was a long wait since Grant was behind schedule on them. So, I cancelled and made a re-order on another wheel.
$97

The above adapter comes with 2 black column housings for a large and small diameter column. It also comes with an extra horn button adapter plate for those old huge chrome horn buttons. The adapter was a bit tight when put onto splines of the steering shaft, so I imagine I will need a puller to remove it if I ever have to.

Grant Wheel adapters information
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5384-Grant-Steering-Wheel-Adapter-Number-1st-Gen?highlight=Grant+wheel+adapter

hutch
04-06-2016, 07:42 AM
Yes, but I had the Grant suede before. Great looking wheel, look at some other of my previous pictures.
It had absolutely no grip. My hands would just slide on the wheel.
I know it's pricey but it's custom ordered to my specs and uses real genuine leather. Everything these days are vinyl.
If we bought one made with real leather we will pay a good amount of money.
I kinda look at is a bargain.

BradMph
04-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Yes, but I had the Grant suede before. Great looking wheel, look at some other of my previous pictures.
It had absolutely no grip. My hands would just slide on the wheel.
I know it's pricey but it's custom ordered to my specs and uses real genuine leather. Everything these days are vinyl.
If we bought one made with real leather we will pay a good amount of money.
I kinda look at is a bargain.

Ya, Grant did use a lot more leather in the day. I agree with you on the vinyl issue also. They are definitely making more with that stuff. The one thing I am not happy with on a vinyl wheel is that you can feel the seems where the mold was pieced together and poured. I will probably wrap the wheel with a soft leather cover when I locate one I like.
Your wheel really looks well done though, I must say they did an excellent job. I hope it last for you. :)

geezer101
04-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Ya, Grant did use a lot more leather in the day. I agree with you on the vinyl issue also. They are definitely making more with that stuff. The one thing I am not happy with on a vinyl wheel is that you can feel the seems where the mold was pieced together and poured. I will probably wrap the wheel with a soft leather cover when I locate one I like.
Your wheel really looks well done though, I must say they did an excellent job. I hope it last for you. :)

ebay is great for wheel rim stitched cover kits. They're absurdly cheap and for a few bucks will protect a potentially expensive sports wheel from wear and tear.

hutch
04-07-2016, 01:33 AM

He has done two other wheels for me.
You guys can check out some of his work. I have no affiliation.

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/

BradMph
04-07-2016, 04:28 PM
See that 4 wheel steering car posted on the site, I wonder if it is show or does it help make it go? Looks sort of exotic.

hutch
04-09-2016, 02:27 PM
New steering wheel in the car. I also installed a new stereo tape deck. :) The stock speakers have really come alive.

BradMph
04-09-2016, 06:56 PM
A Hutch, you old school? Cassette deck just brought that to mind. New wheel looks wheely wheely nice too! :thumbup:

hutch
04-09-2016, 07:33 PM
A Hutch, you old school? Cassette deck just brought that to mind. New wheel looks wheely wheely nice too! :thumbup:

lol. Thanks. As far as old school....Yeah, kinda. I found the cassette deck on line, brand new. I new it would fit with almost no modification.

I don't even like cell phones. ;]

BradMph
04-09-2016, 09:12 PM
lol. Thanks. As far as old school....Yeah, kinda. I found the cassette deck on line, brand new. I new it would fit with almost no modification.

I don't even like cell phones. ;]

You and me both on the cell phone thing.

Your dash looks very similar to mine also. I inlaid some wood veneer, but will be changing it to carbon fiber this week.

Your post shows an edit by me cause I accidentally responded in your post by mistake, doh!
Moderator oops! :)

hutch
04-10-2016, 08:33 PM
^^^ NNice