PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head resources

Leadfoot
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi guys/gals

I have an 89 Ram 50 with a cracked cylinder head (between the valves on cylinders 2 and 3) from a tossed freeze plug and subsequent overheat.

I completely disassembled the engine and found it to be in great shape for the mileage 160,000.

The cylinders honed out with minimal honing (stock pistons and rings can be used). The crank, rods, pistons, balance shafts, cam, oil pump, etc all looked great. The valves and rockers are good.

This is my daily driver and "economy" vehicle. I'm not looking to sink much money into it, as the frame will probably only get me another 2 years. Right now, I'm looking at new rings, new bearings, and new gaskets/seals to redo the bottom end.

The problem is the head, from checking online it looks like $300+ core charge for bare castings or $500+ core for completes. With my head being cracked, it can't be used as a core. Is there a place that sells used uncracked heads? Also can I swap my cam and valve train from my head (jet valve with blanks inserted) to a non jet valved head?

My landlord is an engine machinist (mainly circle track motors) and is willing to help transfer my valves, clean the seats, valve guides, etc if we can find a cheap good head.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you,
Chris

pennyman1
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
what motor do you have - 2.0 or 2.6? if 2.6 I have a couple - one stock jet valve and one ported non jet that was repaired on cylinders 2 and 3.

Leadfoot
08-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Ooops, meant to post that it's a 2.6L

LSR Mike
08-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Junkyard

Acuta73
08-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I agree with LSR, if you've a machinist on tap, that'd be the easiest/cheapest route. Get a non-jet head or you'll likely end up with another cracked head, either down the road or from the junkyard.

Rockers and shafts will swap directly to a non-jet from a jetted head. The little flange and adjuster will just float in empty space. It might be worth it to have the cam journals line-bored and get a new (oversize) cam (most auto places will sell them, I know Napa does).

Leadfoot
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
What years of heads will interchange if I go the junk yard route?

Thank you.

crvtec90
08-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I ditched my 2.6 jet valve head for a dodge caravan/plymouth voyager head. Same casting....just no jet valves. I couldnt tell you exactly what year...86 i think.
I believe that the 2.6 head with hydraulic lifters has different oiling passages than the mechanical version.

pennyman1
08-19-2011, 03:28 PM
the differences in the oiling passages are on the rocker shafts to feed the hyd lifters. The hyd heads also have different length valves if you are going with the bare head.