PDA

View Full Version : 2wd to 4x4

abeemanator
08-08-2011, 09:41 PM
So the clutch went out in my truck when I went 4x2 ing up in some sand, duh, should have known i was going to get stuck, and when I did i let someone else try to get it unstuck because he said he knew how, so he held the clutch so the rear wheels wouldn't spin, i did not know this until smoke came out from underneath the truck.

SO with the tranny out of my truck, I took the shifter extension off of the end of my tranny and was wondering if a km145 t case will bolt on to the km 132 tranny, I asked that once already, but now I have the tranny ID. Also, does the output shaft get extended? or can I use the same drive shaft as the 2wd, also how hard would it be to retrofit front diff, or would a 4x4 frame be easier? I have a 2.0l and I already know that I will need to put a "dent" in the oil pan so the diff will clear.

pennyman1
08-09-2011, 05:27 PM
It should bolt right up to the km132 - this is the setup for the 2.0 4wd 5 spd. the drive shaft is different, but the output shaft should be the same. For the front diff, you could swap the front cross member from the 4wd, but a whole frame is much easier and cleaner. This also moves the steering box outboard on the frame for more clearance.

abeemanator
08-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Ok, cool. Now the hard part is finding a frame, maybe I can get one from a salvage yard, Probably pretty spendy though. I did put an ad on Craigslist for a 4wd frame for a Mighty Max / Ram 50 from 1987 to 1989.

abeemanator
08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Just my luck today. Me and my friend were going through our local scrapyard today, and he wanted me to go look at a chevy with a 4in lift. when we found it he said "Hey Beeman, here is a truck for you!" So I look and it was a 1988 Power Ram 50 Sport, with a km 148 auto tranny with 4x4, so I wanted to get the cluster, and I had forgot my screwdriver, I was walking back to the car when a truck pulling on to the scale had a 1987 Power Ram 50 4x4. I got the screw driver and came back, and they were parked both side by side. They had wheels, tires, and looked great, so I found a battery and threw it into the 87 ram 50, and I tested my new dash clock out in it too, then I decided to turn it over, CLUNK, goes the starter, so I got out and looked under the hood, and I tried to turn the engine over with a ratchet, and it didn't budge. Too bad I didn't catch the guy before he pulled in, or I could have gotten 2 nice lookin ram 50's for CHEAP! But I will have a T case tomorrow.